Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Roland
  • School:Portage Northern

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:26 AM

Cross -x
- what does leaving every child behind do as far as material change for children with special needs or minorities?

- Is leaving every child behind simply refer to curriculum based education or other facets of schooling?
- What does crip/queer content look like in practice in schools?

- Without an actual overthrough of the bio capitalism system, how do you sustain solvency? The Fristch 17 evidence makes a point of saying under this system a mechanism of inclusion reinforces itself, how does the 1ac over come that?

- What does schooling look like post 1ac, or do you gain solvency simply via speech acts?

- On your role of the ballot - Research as production requires us to engage with the world, not distance ourselves from it - Russo Ev- how does a judge becoming an Academic specifically in a debate round have any weight in the real world, which is the ultimate point of the ev?

- What does “evaluating policy as an ecology” look like in practice?

- Your Wilson 17 evidence highlights that students are motivated and learn in different ways, how does adopting a universal curriculum take this into account and still allow for children to succeed in schools?

- Is the terminal impact to the aff just structural violence?

- How does the aff go about changing educational structures that exist outside of normative schooling like adult education centers or people who have graduated?

Edited by RolandD, 17 April 2018 - 05:26 AM.

I Live for the upvote.

#5 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good
  • Name:Lawson Hudson
  • School:Cabot High School

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

Cross -x
- what does leaving every child behind do as far as material change for children with special needs or minorities?

We use leaving every child behind as a symbolic term rather than a literal term. Specifically a UDL attunes curriculum to an individuals needs and bases the classroom on that.
- Is leaving every child behind simply refer to curriculum based education or other facets of schooling?

I’m confused on the question, but a UDL would be a new form of curriculum but would change the way that schools operate
- What does crip/queer content look like in practice in schools?

Teaching crip/queer literature
- Without an actual overthrough of the bio capitalism system, how do you sustain solvency? The Fristch 17 evidence makes a point of saying under this system a mechanism of inclusion reinforces itself, how does the 1ac over come that?

So the fritsch evidence criticizes status quo modes of inclusion like IEP programs and such but we would say that a UDL doesn’t rely on those forms of inclusion because it changes the way we think about inclusion.
- What does schooling look like post 1ac, or do you gain solvency simply via speech acts?

We would defend a UDL as per our Wilson evidence and the implementation across the us
- On your role of the ballot - Research as production requires us to engage with the world, not distance ourselves from it - Russo Ev- how does a judge becoming an Academic specifically in a debate round have any weight in the real world, which is the ultimate point of the ev?

We would just say that the judge would endorse a model of education but that the debate is about ethical orientations rather than policy orientation
- What does “evaluating policy as an ecology” look like in practice?

Are you referring to a specific card?
- Your Wilson 17 evidence highlights that students are motivated and learn in different ways, how does adopting a universal curriculum take this into account and still allow for children to succeed in schools?

The Wilson evidence talks about how a UDL classroom would attune itself to individuals needs
- Is the terminal impact to the aff just structural violence?

We would say that structural violence is an impact but also things like colonialism and war as per Schotten
- How does the aff go about changing educational structures that exist outside of normative schooling like adult education centers or people who have graduated?

Well we would make the claim that it’s just about how we orient ourselves rather than what can materially be done but would also probably win a spill up claim

#6 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

It seems I'm judging this. Good luck, have fun.

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#7 RolandD

RolandD

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

Quick follow ups:

- what is your mechanism for solvency? You mention above that the aff changes curriculums in school, but you read an advocacy not a plan text, who enacts the plan?

- what distinction from the status quo does learning things through the queer affect do in school?

Edit: I can’t spell:(

Edited by RolandD, 17 April 2018 - 07:29 AM.

I Live for the upvote.

#8 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Quick follow ups:
- what is your mechanism for solvency? You mention above that the aft changes curriculums in school, by you read an advocacy not a plan text, who enacts the plan?

We don’t defend a specific actor to enact the plan just defend that it’s a good thing that should be endorsed.

- what distinction from the status quo does learning things through the queer affect do in school?

Well it’s not based on the heteronormative nature of the school and would say that it’s better attuned to individuals needs

#9 RolandD

RolandD

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:51 PM

sorry for the delay, here's the 1nc.

Word count may be over, i couldn't get stat to work in verbatim so if someone could double check that would be appreciated.

Open for cross-x if it's legit

Attached Files

I Live for the upvote.

#10 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

Yeah my word count isn’t working but this definently seems over time, I have a lot of homework but cx and 2ac in the morning as long as the word count is good

#11 Masterdebater3000

Masterdebater3000

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay
  • Name:Quintin
  • School:Garfield High School

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

Its 4488 words BTW

#12 RolandD

RolandD

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:44 PM

Its 4488 words BTW

Oof okay I’ll fix and post tomorrow

I Live for the upvote.

#13 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:44 PM

Its 4488 words BTW

Thank you
Yeah I’ll post cx after you are able to cut it down

#14 RolandD

RolandD

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:20 AM

Okay 1nc should be set now

word count is roughly 2400

Attached Files

I Live for the upvote.

#15 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

t

how do we not meet your interp considering in cx I said that I defend the implementation of a UDL?

what additional ground does your interp give you? 

how is the aff extra t? 

ballot k 

how is the 1ac a call for a ballot? 

does the k believe that a UDL is bad? 

whats the link to the implementation of a udl? 

whats the alternative do? 

im confused about the link turn? can you explain it... 

wilderson k 

whats the link?

what does the alt do? 

can the alt solve the aff? 

case

how is the aff a "deconstructing of categories of difference?"

your indictment of queer theory is a criticism of not taking material action, if a UDL is material how do we link? 

is there a single warrrant to the cohen 72 card? 

#16 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

also is the word count under 2400? 

#17 RolandD

RolandD

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

t

how do we not meet your interp considering in cx I said that I defend the implementation of a UDL?

Your advocacy isn't a concrete strategy, utilizing UDL is an idea, the aff doesn't have a mechanism to actually make it happen. The interp on street t is also specific to an advocacy that has a mechanism outside of the debate community. To meet the interp the newton 71 evidence says that you have to be some form of action or you end up being an "armchair philosopher"

what additional ground does your interp give you? 

Specifically, we lose access to state based links on all DAs and K because there isn't a concrete method for action. I wanted to read a state based link on afropess but I cant because you dont defend state action.

how is the aff extra t? 

The resolution sets the question of a concrete actor and a mechanism to complete an action and answer the question of education reform. Advocating for UDL as a debater doesn't fall into that category so it is outside of the resolution.

ballot k 

how is the 1ac a call for a ballot?

the 1ac makes the claim that if its a good idea the judge should vote aff, essentially equating a win or "the ballot" to solvency. You also hint at spill up claim in cross-x, which would mean you value a win insofar as to further the aff as a good idea

does the k believe that a UDL is bad? 

its not a question of UDL being bad, the uc berkeley ev argues that the idea that you have to read this in a debate round is problematic because academia feeds on narratives and the ideas of suffering, so much so that they only listen to the stories and never produce change. We would argue that its not good enough for the aff to be a good idea, because you are reading it in a debate round where no difference is made.

whats the link to the implementation of a udl?

its not an implementation link, its more of a question of orientation. We would argue that you specifically reading this argument in a debate round where a win loss method is utilized is problematic because the ballot becomes a commidity, which kills social transformation becuase you dont care about helping the disenfranchised, only the ballot.

whats the alternative do? 

its essentially to reject the 1ac. Tuck and Yang argue that a refusal in this context is net better because it acts as a rejection to the idea of ivory tower and thinking and research without action.

im confused about the link turn? can you explain it... 

Sure, the Russo & Beresford 15 is really good on the question of weaponization and action. It argues that it's not just good enough to become academics but to also go out into the world and do the things that you claim will make an impact. This arg flows neg because you are reading this evidence in a debate round and not actually going and doing action, which is what the authors ultimately intent. the warrant that I pulled reads " We do not investigate something out there, we do not merely deconstruct and reconstruct discourses about our world. Research as production requires us to engage with the world, not distance ourselves from it …Thus the research is not an attempt to change the world through the process of investigation but an attempt to change the world by producing ourselves and others in differing ways from those we have produced before.” This indicts the idea of only doing research, and the last card literally reads that the 1ac is a research project. 

wilderson k 

whats the link?

the 1ac makes a claim that schooling in the status quo is disproportionate and that we have to have UDL to make things even for disabled students and people that dont fit into binaries, but Wilderson argues that "universalism" is bad because a) blacks always get left in the dust whenever there is a movement for equality and b)the structures that make inequality possible are built on antiblackness, i.e. in this instance Civil Society writ large.

what does the alt do? 

The alt is the call for the end of the world. The wilderson evidence highlights the 1ac will ultimately fail in all its attempts at equality because without addressing antiblackness first, the harms will only perpetuate themselves. Calling for the end of the world would mean bringing an end civil society as whole and loosing the hold that institutional action has on disenfranchised bodies.

can the alt solve the aff? 

Yea, I kinda covered this above but absent the end of the world UDL cant solve discrimination, especially in schools. Without addressing civil society and institutional action, the harms will only help manifesting themselves.

case

how is the aff a "deconstructing of categories of difference?"

Universal Design for Learning works to break down barriers in schools and have a single method of teaching, thats the definition of breaking down difference.

your indictment of queer theory is a criticism of not taking material action, if a UDL is material how do we link? 

I disagree,  in cross-ex you said you would have a queer based curriculum, Kirsch would argue that queer based learning fails to do anything for conditions of queer bodies in the US. 

is there a single warrrant to the cohen 72 card? 

After openly breaking the law (Not reading a tradition plan text), the traditional disobedient willingly pays the penalty. This is one of the characteristics that serve to distinguish him from the typical criminal (his appeal to conscience is another), and it helps to establish the seriousness (Validity of the Aff) of his views 

I Live for the upvote.

#18 RolandD

RolandD

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

also is the word count under 2400? 

its like 2500, i made a copy with the unhighlighted parts taken out, its just the tags, highlighting, authors and analytics if you want it.

I Live for the upvote.

#19 lawsonhudson

lawsonhudson

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Good

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

the word count is over 3500

#20 lawsonhudson