Austinkiihnl

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Okay
  • Name:Austin Kiihnl
  • School:Caddo Magnet

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Who is considered to be the best kritik debater of all time- high school or college?

#2 aprasad202

aprasad202

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Good
  • Name:Aaditya Prasad
  • School:CNEC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

That's probably subjective but to me its Harvard BS

#3 BatailleLives

BatailleLives

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Georges
  • School:Lil Pump Academy

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

This is a good question, but I think that there are many different kinds of debate. There are teams like Michigan KM who run high theory stuff like baudrillard and bataille, then there are teams reading race and identity arguments, like Kansas KR. I think that this is definitely a subjective and complicated question, but I'm interested to hear what people think. 

There was only ever one debate to be had, that of being versus becoming. This card is extremely complicated and if you even try to answer it you will lose. 

#4 Jw4167

Jw4167

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good
  • Name:/
  • School:\

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Michigan km was insane but a little hard to understand because of the level of theory, there is also rutgers mn who were definitely not a traditional K team. Then there is teams like mcdonough who just straight up outdebate people on the alt, impact, and framework debate. It really depends on what you are focusing on but i think those three teams are some of the best from recent years, but i have not been paying attention to the circuit for very long I obviously am missing a lot of very good teams.

#5 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

You know I had to do it to em

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Who is considered to be the best kritik debater of all time- high school or college?

If you wanna go based off of accomplishments, Rutgers NM and Emporia SW won both the NDT and CEDA in 2017 and 2013, respectively, which is a big deal. K teams to win the TOC in high school include McDonogh JN, Centennial KK, and CK McClatchy HS (I guess they count as a K team, but they're pretty flex)

Obviously there's also Michigan KM, Oklahoma CL, Loyola EM, and Harvard BS. Kansas KR has been dominant this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the NDT. Wake Forest EF is a double first year team who's been absolutely scary this year, making it to quarters of both swings and getting a first round. I can only imagine how good they'll be as seniors. While we're on the topic of Wake, Charles Athanasopoulos is another top-notch K debater. He made it to NDT semis last year as Wake AS and could make another run this year.

Other top K teams from high school-- NoBro MR, BCC EY, BCC GM, Little Rock Central WW, MBA GJ, Bronx Law AL.

In terms of who's the best, it's pretty subjective. There's no one team or debater considered to be the best of all time, but right now it's probably safe to say no one is topping Quaram Robinson from Kansas. But again, it's all up to opinion. 

Edited by Nonegfiat, 14 March 2018 - 08:21 AM.

DOUBLE BIND- Either the harms of the aff are true and they can't solve until they control the levers of power OR the harms are constructed and you reject them for alarmism

#6 seanarchy

seanarchy

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Good
  • Name:Sean
  • School:Oakland Tech

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

Other top K teams from high school-- Loyola EM

Just a correction: Loyola Marymount University EM was a college team who got to semis of the 2012 NDT. There is also a Loyola high school, but EM was from the University.

#7 DisBoiuLIfe

DisBoiuLIfe

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Excellent
  • Name:DisBoiuLIfe
  • School:Wylie

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

north broward?

#8 tommy949

tommy949

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Ryan wash in my opinion was the best K debater of our time. He also coached Rutgers nm to win the Ndt so technically he won the crowns both times one as a debater and one as a coach. Props to him!

#9 ronniesportman

ronniesportman

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Good
  • Name:Raunak

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

If you wanna go based off of accomplishments, Rutgers NM and Emporia SW won both the NDT and CEDA in 2017 and 2013, respectively, which is a big deal. K teams to win the TOC in high school include McDonogh JN, Centennial KK, and CK McClatchy HS (I guess they count as a K team, but they're pretty flex)

Obviously there's also Michigan KM, Oklahoma CL, and Harvard BS. Kansas KR has been dominant this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the NDT. Wake Forest EF is a double first year team who's been absolutely scary this year, making it to quarters of both swings and getting a first round. I can only imagine how good they'll be as seniors. While we're on the topic of Wake, Charles Athanasopoulos is another top-notch K debater. He made it to NDT semis last year as Wake AS and could make another run this year.

Other top K teams from high school-- Loyola EM, BCC EY, BCC GM, Little Rock Central WW, MBA GJ, Bronx Law AL.

In terms of who's the best, it's pretty subjective. There's no one team or debater considered to be the best of all time, but right now it's probably safe to say no one is topping Quaram Robinson from Kansas. But again, it's all up to opinion. 

whats BCC?

#10 Austinkiihnl

Austinkiihnl

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Okay

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

whats BCC?

Baltimore City College

#11 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

Ryan [SNOW] in my opinion was the best K debater of our time.

Aww thanks.

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#12 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• 798 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

Just a correction: Loyola Marymount University EM was a college team who got to semis of the 2012 NDT. There is also a Loyola high school, but EM was from the University.

o shit my bad

DOUBLE BIND- Either the harms of the aff are true and they can't solve until they control the levers of power OR the harms are constructed and you reject them for alarmism

#13 jswegthefuture

jswegthefuture

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Excellent
  • Name:jonathan lee
  • School:camas '18/dartmouth '22

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

michael suo

#14 Cakeisawesome12345

Cakeisawesome12345

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Good

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

You can't have Michael Suo without Brad bolman

#15 monkeybusiness

monkeybusiness

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay
  • Name:Monkey Business
  • School:PHD

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

Jon Brody from Texas, he invented kritiking. 

#16 Austinkiihnl

Austinkiihnl

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Okay

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

I actually met him at the UT tournament.

#17 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• 798 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

I thought that was Bill Shanahan. I could be wrong

Edited by Nonegfiat, 16 March 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#18 OneOffNoCase

OneOffNoCase

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Good
  • Name:Person
  • School:High School

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Harvard BS is probably super inflated in terms of how good they actually are at debate. Other college debaters used to say that their success was from the huge coaching structure Harvard had/has. Despite this, Bolman still did have a large amount of knowledge of psychoanalysis but outside of that, meh. 

Personally, the best K team is probably Michigan KM or Loyola EM. They have a VERY unique style like being super trolly but still had the mechanics of debate DOWN. Both debaters had high levels of technical skills, argumentative breadth, and just in general debate sense. Loyola on the other hand quite literally invented our now kritik debating in terms of both style and the arguments themselves. Baudrillard, Bataille, Nietzsche and many others are all either Loyola creations or have been taken to a whole other level. Again, Loyola maintained high levels of technical skills and a humongous argumentative breadth. Another important fact is the fact that Loyola actually coached both BoSu and KM, which imo adds to their resume.

Another really really good team is UMKC AT. Despite having less argumentative breadth (not because they don't know the arguments, just their preference), they are incredibly technical and have definitely made the achievements. Finals of CEDA and Octas or quarters of the NDT? (personally think the round vs Rutgers was bs but whatever).

Conclusion: I think its Loyola cuz James is the best. :)

#19 monkeybusiness

monkeybusiness

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay
  • Name:Monkey Business
  • School:PHD

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

I actually met him at the UT tournament.

What was he like?  And what year?  Never got the chance to meet the guy. 

I thought that was Bill Shanahan. I could be wrong

The K was invented by multiple peeps.  Shanahan invented Nietzsche, Brody invented Foucault, Warner invented Wilderson. 

#20 Austinkiihnl

Austinkiihnl

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Okay

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

[quote name="monkeybusiness" post="942908" timestamp="1521553127"]What was he like?  And what year?  Never got the chance to meet the guy. 
 He was pretty nice. I met him at the 2017 UT tournament and I was talking to him about starting to run Ks. He was already an NDT first rounder when he started to run Ks and he started with stuff like Feminism, Biopower, and Capitalism.