CondoK

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Good
  • Name:Salem Clemens
  • School:Lansing

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

A friend and I have been trying to make a K aff for this years res. Neither of us have ventured into this territory, it would be great if someone with more experience could take a look! PM me if willing to help.

#2 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

In my opinion, a Kritik Affirmative should take the course of "hmm... I think there's something wrong with this topic. I think criticizing it is a good way to bring it to the attention of other people" rather than "hmm... I'd like to run a Kritik Affirmative. Now, what can I criticize?"

That said, there are a number of positions you could take. You could argue that the education system discriminates against students based on gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, race, culture, socio-economic status, religion, mental illness, or any other aspect of identity.

You could argue about regulation and how state efforts to govern and manage education are really just a ploy to give the state access to information and power over students.

I don't recommend running a Kritik Affirmative just for the fun of it. It's very difficult for the Negative to engage you and, unless both sides are prepared and ready to discuss the issue, it results in a less educational debate. If there is something that you personally feel very strongly about, feel free to write it into an argument. Otherwise, I'd stick to policy Affirmatives.

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#3 HEYEYEYEYEYEY

HEYEYEYEYEYEY

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Good

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

What you could try to run is a topical "K-Aff" by reading a plan text to solve the harms of the 1AC. You would have structural violence/ "K-Impacts" and then another advantage defending the method of your approach. This approach would be the best if your venturing into k-aff territory.

#4 nathan_debate

nathan_debate

Regular/Old School

• 4,735 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

The K affs will mostly be critiques of the curriculum or model that education uses.  So any critiques of that model.

The challenge is finding the cards that connect moving away from the old model to a newer model.

And even if it doesn't turn into an aff, it can be a critique on the neg.

As a starting point, I would suggest looking at the thread on K affs on this topic.

Check out Learn Policy Debate here: http://learnpolicyde....wordpress.com/

#5 tommy949

tommy949

• 1,014 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

Paulo freire is applicable to this topic. Have you seen resolved ?

#6 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• 1,673 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:52 AM

What you could try to run is a topical "K-Aff" by reading a plan text to solve the harms of the 1AC. You would have structural violence/ "K-Impacts" and then another advantage defending the method of your approach. This approach would be the best if your venturing into k-aff territory.

For this kind of thing, I recommend "X is [sexist], vote Affirmative to reject X" instead of "X is [sexist], vote Affirmative to solve sexism."

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.