PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Paul
  • School:KSU

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

Proud to be the first vDebate on the education topic. This is my first time with a plan-less aff, hoping it goes well. 1AC word count is 2071, but 2400/1500 word count is cool with me. Open for CX

Attached Files

"They have done the most destructive, entirely insane thing that has ever been done. They've degraded debate. it's offensive. I'm sorry that you judges have had to listen to this, it's people like them that have destroyed the debate community"

-Missouri's reaction to a cap K

#2 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Alex
  • School:ENHS

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

Word count cool, aff is dope
Do you defend that the USfg regulates the education system?

Whats the impact to not voting Aff?

Whats the role of the ballot?

Whats an abolitionist pedagogy?

So police presence is violent but how does reading your AFF solve?

Can schools exist without a connection to the carceral state?

Do you defend that criminalization is bad in all instances? Like is imprisoning a murderer bad?

Why can't we pursue an abolitionist pedagogy while curtailing the states ability to enforce police brutality or survey students test performances?

#3 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Not really

You accept that violence and genocide are legitimate, and render the prison industrial complex more invisible. Like ethically we have a responsibility to protest the PIC

Endorse the team with the best methodology to combat violence

I think Stanley et al. and Lamble are best here - it's a pedagogy which emphasizes that incarceration/exile is never a method to combat violence, interrogates punitive impulses in our interpersonal relationships, and attempts to create institutions outside of imprisonment for handling crime

Basically rethinking our relationship to imprisonment is a prerequisite to ending police violence - the prison industrial complex works by making the criminalized invisible and presenting itself as the inevitable solution to violence, exposing that relationship is key. We'll defend we have the best methodology

Probably, but certainly not without our advocacy

Do you defend that criminalization is bad in all instances? Like is imprisoning a murderer bad?

Not that criminalization is bad, but imprisonment is bad. Like we don't deny that people can be violent and break the law, but 1. we need to understand how criminalization is tied to white supremacy, patriarchy, etc. and 2. imprisoning people isn't the solution

Why can't we pursue an abolitionist pedagogy while curtailing the states ability to enforce police brutality or survey students test performances?

I guess we could, but like within the confines of the resolution/debate those policies will always miss the big picture - our argument is that a focus on the overarching structure of the PIC should be the #1 priority

"They have done the most destructive, entirely insane thing that has ever been done. They've degraded debate. it's offensive. I'm sorry that you judges have had to listen to this, it's people like them that have destroyed the debate community"

#4 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

Not really

You accept that violence and genocide are legitimate, and render the prison industrial complex more invisible. Like ethically we have a responsibility to protest the PIC

Endorse the team with the best methodology to combat violence

I think Stanley et al. and Lamble are best here - it's a pedagogy which emphasizes that incarceration/exile is never a method to combat violence, interrogates punitive impulses in our interpersonal relationships, and attempts to create institutions outside of imprisonment for handling crime

Basically rethinking our relationship to imprisonment is a prerequisite to ending police violence - the prison industrial complex works by making the criminalized invisible and presenting itself as the inevitable solution to violence, exposing that relationship is key. We'll defend we have the best methodology

Probably, but certainly not without our advocacy

Not that criminalization is bad, but imprisonment is bad. Like we don't deny that people can be violent and break the law, but 1. we need to understand how criminalization is tied to white supremacy, patriarchy, etc. and 2. imprisoning people isn't the solution

I guess we could, but like within the confines of the resolution/debate those policies will always miss the big picture - our argument is that a focus on the overarching structure of the PIC should be the #1 priority

Okay so like a white guy does a cross burning on a interacial couples lawn as an act of white supremacy- should he be imprisoned? If not where should he go

Edited by NativeWarlock, 17 April 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#5 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Okay so like a white guy does a cross burning on a interacial couples lawn as an act of white supremacy- should he be imprisoned? If not where should he go

He shouldn't "go" anywhere, he should be reintegrated into his community and educated. Like the idea is to build a strong enough community that crime and violence don't happen to begin with, and if they do, to recognize that segregating and exposing that man to more violence isn't going to help anyone

#6 NickDB8

NickDB8

Exodus Files Forum Representative

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Nick
  • School:Emporia HS

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

can i pop in and ask for a link to the stanley article

Exodus Files - Updated 5/21! Grab our new STEM Affirmative for the upcoming education topic!

Research Tools

#7 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

1NC is 3 off then case- it was under 2000

Attached Files

#8 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Attached Files

#9 NickDB8

NickDB8

Exodus Files Forum Representative

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Nick
  • School:Emporia HS

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:52 AM

thanks

Exodus Files - Updated 5/21! Grab our new STEM Affirmative for the upcoming education topic!

Research Tools

#10 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

CX

FW

Why is competitive equity valuable?

Why don't you get access to neoliberalism and biopolitics?

Also how is impact turning us your only option?

Why does Christenson justify an exclusive policy focus?

K

Status for this and the counter-advocacy?

Why is debate like the university?

Just to make sure I understand the link/impact - so the university is bad because it doesn't produce knowledge with real life impacts, right?

What does it mean to steal away from the university?

#11 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

FW

Why is competitive equity valuable?
A: it makes the game accessible to both sides- otherwise we are forced to remain silent which makes all forms of politics unavailable, be it critical catharsis or civic engagement.

Why don't you get access to neoliberalism and biopolitics?
A: obviously refusing liberal reforms and biopolitical institutions doesn't link to either kritik- your disagreement with the law is a negative argument.

Also how is impact turning us your only option?
A: our argument is that its what people rush to when clash isn't accessible- even if its not just impact turning, you force us to research positions that are antithetical to your content which moots your performance.

Why does Christenson justify an exclusive policy focus?
A: she doesn't- Christenson's argument is that a refusal of the PIC should accompany new reforms because those anti-black and biopolitical facets of society are interwoven with specific policies.

K

Status for this and the counter-advocacy?
A: Condo

Why is debate like the university?
A: its the university, a school-sponsored space in which we invest in liberal fantasies.

Just to make sure I understand the link/impact - so the university is bad because it doesn't produce knowledge with real life impacts, right?
A: i get this is might be a fwk turn but my answer is- either the university is irredeemable which means the aff is bad- OR it is in which case rules are cool

A: to subvert and refuse the 1AC- to steal the intellectual exercise and rigor of the 1ac's research

#12 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

A: i get this is might be a fwk turn but my answer is- either the university is irredeemable which means the aff is bad- OR it is in which case rules are cool

Yeah but like that is the warrant here, right? I'm not trying to be tricky or anything, just making sure I get it.

A: to subvert and refuse the 1AC- to steal the intellectual exercise and rigor of the 1ac's research

Yeah but like steal it and do what? Like what does the alt actually do?

#13 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Yeah but like that is the warrant here, right? I'm not trying to be tricky or anything, just making sure I get it.

A: Yeah the university teaches us to endlessly flesh out discussions of social death and unfreedoms which 1) is just talking in circles, researching aff after aff, forgotten in libraries after this round and 2) assuming the aff speaks truth to power, makes those methodologies visible to elitists who can then extinguish your movement

A: You don't have to do anything after stealing the AFF- we get the ballot you don't- that's our idea of spiting the university. There's no material implications post AFF and there's no material implications post alt.

#14 vmanAA738

vmanAA738

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Vinay
  • School:UC Berkeley

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

willing to judge this round

in the UC machine

#15 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

This 2AC is a bit of a mess but whatever. The order is case, FW, CA, K and the word count is 2143. Open for CX

*EDIT: By the way, anyone can judge. Even if you don't want to judge, I'd appreciate feedback from anyone, I'm still getting used to writing and reading K affs

Attached Files

Edited by PailAmbrose, 18 April 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#16 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

Fwk

what does the counter-interp mean and what affs are topical under it?

secomb says that community is created via disagreement and the existence of difference- if we win that we cannot express disagreement with the 1AC does that turn the aff?

PIC:

Okay so where are these magic centers that abolish racist sentiment and why aren't they solving in the status quo?

Do you select specific people who to these multi-cultural areas?

case:
im confused- your 1AC rodriguez and lambl evidence all indicate that specific reforms are good- even if it's a matter of sequencing, why can't a 1AC address a specific policy like police presence in schools while also employing an abolitionist pedagogy?

#17 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

Fwk

what does the counter-interp mean and what affs are topical under it?

Affirmative teams should present an advocacy that affirms a change to education in the U.S. Affs are pretty varied, although I'd argue the normal topic isn't that much narrower

secomb says that community is created via disagreement and the existence of difference- if we win that we cannot express disagreement with the 1AC does that turn the aff?

I mean if you won that, but I feel like there's quite a bit of legitimate ground against this aff that allows you to negate us

PIC:

Okay so where are these magic centers that abolish racist sentiment and why aren't they solving in the status quo?

There's not some magic center that ends racism, our argument is that integrating people into diverse communities (say through equal and affordable access to housing or fights against school segregation, a la Lamble) reduces racism and hate crimes. Even if it's not a perfect solution, it's better than prison which do nothing at best and increase racism at worse

Do you select specific people who to these multi-cultural areas?

Nah, but I feel like school and neighborhood desegregation is a pretty logical consequence of our advocacy - if exiling people to prisons is bad, exiling them to other neighborhood is also bad

case:
im confused- your 1AC rodriguez and lambl evidence all indicate that specific reforms are good- even if it's a matter of sequencing, why can't a 1AC address a specific policy like police presence in schools while also employing an abolitionist pedagogy?

I mean we kinda do? Like we defend a whole host of policies, our argument is that focusing on any one of them specifically risks falling into short-term reforms, jeopardizing the overall project of abolition. We should redirect our epistemologies towards abolition, and let communities develop particular policies for themselves. Plus we can't get offense from a mindset under a purely resolution-focused debate

#18 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

2nc is like 2200

its fwk then case

Attached Files

#19 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

Oh I apologize, I meant to say no CX. You can post the 1NR

#20 NativeWarlock

NativeWarlock

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

Sorry, got rekd by finals but 1nr soon