#1 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

Topicality is a voting issue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Here's the aff we run. Have at it!

2400/1500 is fine for word limits if PailAmbrose is cool with that. The 1AC is 1985 words. Open for cross!

Edited by Nonegfiat, 30 May 2017 - 08:26 AM.

DOUBLE BIND- Either the harms of the aff are true and they can't solve until they control the levers of power OR the harms are constructed and you reject them for alarmism

#2 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

"I'm open to judge."

-me, on most vdebates

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#3 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

"I'm open to judge."

-me, on most vdebates

Sounds good

DOUBLE BIND- Either the harms of the aff are true and they can't solve until they control the levers of power OR the harms are constructed and you reject them for alarmism

#4 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Paul
  • School:KSU

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

When you said you wanted a policy debate, do you mean no Ks at all or just a mixed strategy? Also lol the one case I didn't have prepped

CX

The first Wyne card here says the U.S. has blown the AIIB out of proportion - if the rest of the world views AIIB as insignificant, how will that reverse great power competition?

Also, how exactly can one policy change reverse decades of U.S. containment of China?

How is the plan a recognition of China's status if the U.S. is explicitly joining to modify the bank? Wouldn't that just be seen as Western intervention?

Also, for the second advantage, why doesn't China's transition to renewables solve? Like why can't China just reform standards by itself?

If China is pushing bad standards in the AIIB, why don't other Western influences solve?

What bad infrastructure policies is the AIIB endorsing now, and can you give an example of sustainable infrastructure policy?

*EDIT: Also, can China just let the U.S. onto the AIIB? Don't multiple nations have to agree for us to join?

Maybe followups

Edited by PailAmbrose, 17 April 2017 - 05:56 PM.

"They have done the most destructive, entirely insane thing that has ever been done. They've degraded debate. it's offensive. I'm sorry that you judges have had to listen to this, it's people like them that have destroyed the debate community"

-Missouri's reaction to a cap K

#5 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

When you said you wanted a policy debate, do you mean no Ks at all or just a mixed strategy? Also lol the one case I didn't have prepped

I'm fine with kritiks, I'm just not that interested in debating a 1 off K strat, or something like a 2 off K+T strat. I'm hoping to debate some fiated impacts

CX

The first Wyne card here says the U.S. has blown the AIIB out of proportion - if the rest of the world views AIIB as insignificant, how will that reverse great power competition?

I don't think Wyne means to imply that the rest of the world views AIIB as insignificant.  Wyne says that the US reaction inflated the bank's strategic significance. In other words, not only are we making dicks of ourselves, but we're making China look better in the process.

Also, how exactly can one policy change reverse decades of U.S. containment of China?

So, the AIIB is a special case.  Our Lipscy evidence indicates that the AIIB is a marker of status, or, a symbol of China's rise to great power status. And so by freaking out about the AIIB, we're actually freaking out about the fact that China's become an international player, and we're sendinfg the message that we don't welcome them. So our argument is that by reversing course on this, we can send the opposite message, which will solve containment in the squo.

How is the plan a recognition of China's status if the U.S. is explicitly joining to modify the bank? Wouldn't that just be seen as Western intervention?

It's still China's bank. They still call the shots.  Our Lazarus evidence indicates that we can influence the direction of the bank without explicitly challenging China's leadership. Also, China really wants the US in the bank, and they probably already realize that our priorities don't exactly line up with theirs. This goes back to our arguments on the Rise advantage-- the geopolitical implications of the bank, ie that the US approves of China's initiative to open an infrastructure bank, are more important than the specific way that funding plays out.

Also, for the second advantage, why doesn't China's transition to renewables solve? Like why can't China just reform standards by itself?

They aren't doing that now-- standards are decreasing in the squo.

If China is pushing bad standards in the AIIB, why don't other Western influences solve?

Our Laurence evidence suggests that they don't have enough influence now to make a difference. But really, I don't think that's really our burden to explain why. We give you evidence which indicates that it's bad now  and that the US can solve.

What bad infrastructure policies is the AIIB endorsing now, and can you give an example of sustainable infrastructure policy?

The issue is broad overarching standards for the projects they choose to fund. Things like making sure they don't give off a ridiculous amount of carbon emission or destroy the local ecosystem or abuse their workers. Stuff like that. And a sustainable alternative would be to enforce those things.

Maybe followups

#6 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

*EDIT: Also, can China just let the U.S. onto the AIIB? Don't multiple nations have to agree for us to join?

China can let the US into the bank of their own. But even if other nations had to agree in theory, China calls the shots and they'd still vote how China wants them to.

#7 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

Alright cool, 1NC tonight

"They have done the most destructive, entirely insane thing that has ever been done. They've degraded debate. it's offensive. I'm sorry that you judges have had to listen to this, it's people like them that have destroyed the debate community"

#8 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

Alright cool, 1NC tonight

sweet

#9 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Actually, one more question: why exactly would the U.S. and China go to war without the plan?

#10 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

Actually, one more question: why exactly would the U.S. and China go to war without the plan?

Status quo sabre rattling combined with mutual suspicion is unsustainable and will inevitably lead to miscalc if its not checked

#11 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

1NC word count is exactly 2400, and the order is three off and case

Attached Files

#12 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:28 AM

Plan Flaw:

One question-- Why?

Japan DA:

Where's your brink?

What are Japan's incentives to withdraw from the alliance, as your internal link evidence suggests?

What's the trigger for war, and why would Japan proliferating be enough to access it?

Elections DA:

Why is a win for Trump necessarily a win for Le Pen?

Will you explain the scenario for European war if the EU collapses?

#13 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

Plan Flaw:

One question-- Why?

Testing the aff in different ways lol

Japan DA:

Where's your brink?

Basically, Japan needs to believe that the U.S. thinks US-Japan ties are more valuable than US-China ties

What are Japan's incentives to withdraw from the alliance, as your internal link evidence suggests?

If the U.S. values China more than Japan, Japan thinks that the U.S. isn't a helpful ally and won't defend them

What's the trigger for war, and why would Japan proliferating be enough to access it?

The Cimbala evidence is really good here. Japan proliferating creates a massive incentive for other East Asian countries to proliferate, which increases tensions and causes nuclear miscalc

Elections DA:

Why is a win for Trump necessarily a win for Le Pen?

Because European populist movements have attached themselves to Trump - they piggyback on his success

Will you explain the scenario for European war if the EU collapses?

Essentially European countries don't actually like each other very much and super nationalistic, but the EU constrains them

#14 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

viva la re-élection

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#15 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

So your argument is that the EU is the only thing standing between Europe and conflict?

Also, what's the impact to european war?

After that, im good. 2ac by the end of today

Edited by Nonegfiat, 18 April 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#16 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

So your argument is that the EU is the only thing standing between Europe and conflict?

Basically, yeah

Also, what's the impact to european war?

War is bad? I mean we'll also contend that it draws in outside forces and certainly has potential to go nuclear, but just generally war is bad and should be avoided

After that, im good. 2ac by the end of today

#17 vmanAA738

vmanAA738

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Vinay

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

also willing to judge 

virilio's acceleration hypothesis is real in college/today's world

#18 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

the 2AC is 35 words over, feel free to reciprocate

Edited by Nonegfiat, 30 May 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#19 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

sorry for the goofy names on the disads. I had them like that for fun while writing the speech and i forgot to change them lol

Edited by Nonegfiat, 18 April 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#20 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

I thought it was going to be no CX, but I do have one question: On the Japan DA, is Trump going to remove the Okinawa bases or what?