4 replies to this topic

#1 Dndjcmds

Dndjcmds

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I'll be doing nat circuit LD next year; does anyone have any tips on what the transition is like, what I should be researching/studying/practicing between now and next season, weird things I should be expecting, etc.

I will probably go to LD camp this summer, btw.

#2 PailAmbrose

PailAmbrose

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Paul
  • School:KSU

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

I haven't done nat circuit LD, but from what I've heard, you're going to want to get real good at theory

"They have done the most destructive, entirely insane thing that has ever been done. They've degraded debate. it's offensive. I'm sorry that you judges have had to listen to this, it's people like them that have destroyed the debate community"

-Missouri's reaction to a cap K

#3 Chaos

Chaos

Mare Incognitum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

What's your prior familiarity with K authors?

Study garbage theory and framework arguments, because they'll determine half of your rounds.

Read through old arguments on Circuitdebater and the NDCA.

There are like five hundred earlier versions of this thread that may be helpful to you.

There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.

#4 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

*Policy to LD advice*
Do the same thing but slower.

*LD to Policy advice*
Forget everything you think you know.

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#5 vmanAA738

vmanAA738

Top Speaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Vinay
  • School:UC Berkeley

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

this thread was especially dense and has lots of advice- i will also note that the OP on this thread ended up qualing to the LD TOC last year so it's probably worth reading:

https://www.cross-x....6-ld-switching/

in the UC machine