Photo
- - - - -

Is "Perm do the Alt then the Plan" or vice versa severance?

perm kritik severance unique theory

Best Answer TheSnowball, 13 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

So "perm- do the alternative then the Affirmative" is severance. There's an assumption made that the plan will happen in a guaranteed and immediate fashion due to the nature of fiat. The Negative could argue that this is not necessarily true in order to try to justify the permutation.

I think it's unfair to do that because the Affirmative can always just say "embrace their ideology, but then vote Aff" as a way to get around criticism.

The "vis versa" would be "perm - do the Affirmative then the alternative" - this isn't severance, but it is intrinsic. By separating the two, the Affirmative adds an element of delay which didn't exist before, which is unfair because it always pushes off criticism to the future and isn't as predictable.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SapphoWilson

SapphoWilson

Junior-Varsity

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay
  • Name:Sappho Wilson
  • School:Life

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

One of my debater buds told me it was severing out of the timeframe because they don't pass at the same time and also made the Alt and plan noncompetitive, but I wouldn't qualify him as a reliable source.

#2 TheSnowball

TheSnowball

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Ryan

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:52 AM   Best Answer

So "perm- do the alternative then the Affirmative" is severance. There's an assumption made that the plan will happen in a guaranteed and immediate fashion due to the nature of fiat. The Negative could argue that this is not necessarily true in order to try to justify the permutation.

I think it's unfair to do that because the Affirmative can always just say "embrace their ideology, but then vote Aff" as a way to get around criticism.

The "vis versa" would be "perm - do the Affirmative then the alternative" - this isn't severance, but it is intrinsic. By separating the two, the Affirmative adds an element of delay which didn't exist before, which is unfair because it always pushes off criticism to the future and isn't as predictable.

Daily Evidence Card!
Exodus Files!

This cross-ex is taking too long.

Kafka 25 (Franz, Novelist, Translated by David Wyllie, "The Trial", 1925) //Snowball

K. was informed by telephone that there would be a small hearing concerning his case the following Sunday. He was made aware that these cross examinations would follow one another regularly, perhaps not every week but quite frequently. On the one hand it was in everyone’s interest to bring proceedings quickly to their conclusion, but on the other hand every aspect of the examinations had to be carried out thoroughly without lasting too long because of the associated stress. For these reasons, it had been decided to hold a series of brief examinations following on one after another. Sunday had been chosen as the day for the hearings so that K. would not be disturbed in his professional work. It was assumed that he would be in agreement with this, but if he wished for another date then, as far as possible, he would be accommodated. Cross-examinations could even be held in the night, for instance, but K. would probably not be fresh enough at that time. Anyway, as long as K. made no objection, the hearing would be left on Sundays. It was a matter of course that he would have to appear without fail, there was probably no need to point this out to him. He would be given the number of the building where he was to present himself, which was in a street in a suburb well away from the city centre which K. had never been to before.

#3 HandMeSomeCapGood

HandMeSomeCapGood

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Good
  • Name:Paul

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

This is just my opinion, but if the affirmative said that perm against me in a round, I would use it as a concession of the Alt solves the affirmative, because voting Negative would still mean you would solve the entirety of the affirmative. Then if you win the Link Debate, then they would be fucked because the negative has access over the affirmative and the just the affirmative alone would trigger the K Impact. 

#4 HandMeSomeCapGood

HandMeSomeCapGood

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

A better Perm to Argue is Perm do the aff, then the K and win why the impacts of the affirmative outweigh the K. I mean it's a bit Intrinsic, but theirs some theory on why that's a good perm.

#5 hkuang

hkuang

Junior-Varsity

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Good
  • School:Midway High School

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

voting Negative would still mean you would solve the entirety of the affirmative.

I might be wrong but
1. Voting neg doesn't do the aff
2. Perm is a test of competition

#6 HandMeSomeCapGood

HandMeSomeCapGood

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Good

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I might be wrong but
1. Voting neg doesn't do the aff
2. Perm is a test of competition

I mean in the 2NC you could use this as offense to say that the ALT can solve the affirmative, since the affirmative would of argued pass the Alt first then the AFF, which kinds of concedes this to the negative. It wouldn't be testing competition because your saying do the K first then the AFF, which in my opinion gives a lot of lee way for the negative to make the argument that the K would be able to solve the AFF