• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 tommy949

tommy949

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

I think the final round will include Rutgers NM and somebody else? Any guesses?

#2 jobas

jobas

(-;

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Excellent
  • Name:jobas
  • School:the court

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

UMKC AT..

#3 turls

turls

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Good
  • Name:alex turley
  • School:ESU

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

I think the final round will include Rutgers NM and somebody else? Any guesses?

Lolol they droped to

UMKC AT..

In prelims infront of Toya Green. AT is def favorite to win this.

#4 NickDB8

NickDB8

Exodus Files Forum Representative

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Nick
  • School:Emporia HS

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

UMKC AT has seven wins atm - They're probably going to win.

Exodus Files - Updated 5/21! Grab our new STEM Affirmative for the upcoming education topic!

Research Tools

#5 elmeryang00

elmeryang00

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Elmer Yang
  • School:Mckinney Boyd

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

UMKC AT has seven wins atm - They're probably going to win.

They were undefeated last year in prelims and lost in Quarters

#6 tommy949

tommy949

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Lolol they droped to

In prelims infront of Toya Green. AT is def favorite to win this.

Rutgers NM is in the elims, What do you mean?

#7 turls

turls

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Good

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

Rutgers NM is in the elims, What do you mean?

Yeah, you debate 8 rounds before elims, NM dropped to AT.

Edited by turls, 19 March 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#8 elmeryang00

elmeryang00

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

I think UCO HS will win CEDA.

Having said that, I had Corey as a Lab Leader at Camp and he knows his arguments better than anyone I've ever seen or met except maybe for Ignacio Evans so it will be hard-pressed for anyone to knock him and Anthony out.

#9 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

Agambabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Please excuse my ignorance here-- I know very little about the college game

But like why doesnt every school go to CEDA? Reading the entry list I notice the absence of a handful of big schools. Do policy teams tend to shy away from CEDA?

DOUBLE BIND- Either the harms of the aff are true and they can't solve until they control the levers of power OR the harms are constructed and you reject them for alarmism

#10 seanarchy

seanarchy

Junior-Varsity

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Good
  • Name:Sean
  • School:Oakland Tech

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

@Nonegfiat From what I've heard the big schools kind of look down on CEDA, like there's less prestige associated with it. Also many of them are going to the NDT which is next weekend, so maybe they're prepping or something.

#11 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

Agambabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

@Nonegfiat From what I've heard the big schools kind of look down on CEDA, like there's less prestige associated with it. Also many of them are going to the NDT which is next weekend, so maybe they're prepping or something.

thanks, that's helpful. I wonder why they don't space out those tournaments more

DOUBLE BIND- Either the harms of the aff are true and they can't solve until they control the levers of power OR the harms are constructed and you reject them for alarmism

#12 brodrillard

brodrillard

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Good
  • Name:jean baudrillard

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

I think finals will be UCO HS and UMKC AT - theyve both done rly well, and UCO is reallllllllllly good esp w/ FWK (plus one of UCOs only dropped ballots was to UMKC AT, arguably the other best team there)

Edited by brodrillard, 19 March 2017 - 04:29 PM.

In 1884,  meridian time personnel met
 in Washington to change Earth time.
First words said was that only 1 day
could be used on Earth to not change
 the 1 day bible. So they applied the 1
day  and  ignored  the  other  3 days.
The bible time was wrong then and it
 proved wrong today. This a major lie
  has so much evil feed from it's wrong.
No man on Earth has no belly-button,
  it proves every believer on Earth a liar.

#13 turls

turls

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Good

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

@Nonegfiat the college community is very divided. CEDA and NDT were originally separate organizations. CEDA was a response to elitism of debate which is why CEDA is know as "the people's tournament". They have been getting closer together both time wise and location wise to allow more people attended both. A lot of big policy schools do not come to CEDA any more, in my opinion, because they think they are better than those that participate in CEDA. Both tournaments are dying,in four years CEDA is half the size it was.

TL;DR Schools with lots of money think they are too good for "the people's tournament".

#14 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

Agambabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

Both tournaments are dying,in four years CEDA is half the size it was.

That's really sad, especially since I'm so hyped to get into college debate next year. Why do you think they're dying?

#15 turls

turls

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Good

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Divide in the community, funding issues, creeps. There are new programs popping up but a lot of people don't have time or money to take time to compete.

#16 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

Agambabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

creeps

?

#17 elmeryang00

elmeryang00

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

A lot of the prestige aspect stems from the fact that CEDA does not have a qualification process meaning that you can just sign up and go while the NDT has a extensive Bid system and the District qualification process.

#18 turls

turls

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Good

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

The community has been working really hard to force any violent people out because coaches that have abused power in the past have often been insulated against that. That one really sucks because debate being a safe space has meant weeding out sexual assulaters who often take their whole program with them. I am in favor of this because debate should be a safe space and fuck those creeps.

#19 Nonegfiat

Nonegfiat

Agambabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

The community has been working really hard to force any violent people out because coaches that have abused power in the past have often been insulated against that. That one really sucks because debate being a safe space has meant weeding out sexual assulaters who often take their whole program with them. I am in favor of this because debate should be a safe space and fuck those creeps.

Yeah i gotta agree. Your moral compass is way off if you think ending some programs is too big a price to pay for weeding out sexual assaulters. I mean debate is important but not more important than people's safety. But yeah that's a really sad situation. I'm glad these people are being weeded out and I hope the community sees growth in the future

Edited by Nonegfiat, 19 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#20 elmeryang00

elmeryang00

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Divide in the community

This^, there is self-imposed divide in College debate that is significantly more apparent than in high school.

I think the last team to win CEDA reading a plan was Kansas State MZ in 2011. Teams like Harvard and Northwestern used to compete in CEDA but I think they all dropped off after around 2008 or so (this is an estimate, I'm not quite sure what the exact season was). The main perception of CEDA is that it is filled with K based teams and while there are a couple of teams reading traditional plan based Affs (relatively) such as Kansas, for the most part deep elims at CEDA most debates are K on K.

The NDT is significantly more diverse with teams like Vermont, Liberty, Emporia, Army, Kansas BR, Michigan KM, Rutgers, and Towson making appearances in elims and sometimes even winning it in the case of Emporia, but at the highest levels, but it is predominately dominated by traditional teams such as Georgetown, Michigan, and Northwestern. 

I think that with more and more teams from traditionally traditional schools such as Harvard AM, Michigan KM, Northwestern KL, Kansas BR (I think Kansas DR now) starting to read more diverse arguments, the divide will eventually heal, but for now, there is a pretty huge split between the "Kritik" and the "Policy" side of the college community that manifests itself in tournament pools and the teams competing at the highest levels.