5 replies to this topic

#1 Piedude

Piedude

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

I wanna start reading nietzsche. He sounds interesting but I don't really know about him. Where should I start?

"Why does Baudrillard sound like the final boss in a Ninja Turtles video game?"

#2 SpontaneousCombustion

SpontaneousCombustion

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Benny Cupo
  • School:Victoria East -> UT Austin

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

Beyond Good and Evil is a great place to start.

"...It's like you had the ball; you were at the goal; you were about to score; then you put the ball down to go get a drink of water or something, and by the time you got back, the other team had already picked up the ball, scored, and won the game." -Kanan Boor in reference to my first 2NR as a novice debater at camp, where I dropped the DA and went for a K I didn't actually understand.

#3 CoolioBrah

CoolioBrah

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
Good
  • Name:Pollo
  • School:AintNobodyGotTimefodat

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

I think you should check out the camp k stuff first in order to see how it is utilizied in debate.

Then read literature such as der derian "the values of insecurity"

#4 Lazzarone

Lazzarone

Regular

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Kevin Sanchez

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

https://www.cross-x....che-k/?p=108247

#5 Piedude

Piedude

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

Ok, so I've gotten a general grasp. However, what's the answer to "'We create lives worth living for those we help, otherwise they'd rather die?" Is it just: "fine, let them die?"

"Why does Baudrillard sound like the final boss in a Ninja Turtles video game?"

#6 SpontaneousCombustion

SpontaneousCombustion

Varsity

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Benny Cupo
  • School:Victoria East -> UT Austin

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

Ok, so I've gotten a general grasp. However, what's the answer to "'We create lives worth living for those we help, otherwise they'd rather die?" Is it just: "fine, let them die?"

Point out that debate is a game and we shouldn't be using suffering that we can't actually prevent or even care about in the first place just to collect ballots. We should only help those that want it and only if it is in our power to do so. Read a bunch of kain 7 cards about amor fati and eternal recurrence (we need to love our fate and be willing to re-live it perpetually without any modifications) and talk about Zarathustra from the Thus Spake Zarathustra (another Nietzsche book that wouldn't be easy for me to explain in its entirety since it has been awhile, but the argument is that we should only help those we can, but we shouldn't go out an actively seek those in need of help). I would recommend finding the old round of Steven Murray going for Nietzsche for a more nuanced explanation. In fact, as soon as Maury finds this post you will be educated and all of this will be improved upon.

"...It's like you had the ball; you were at the goal; you were about to score; then you put the ball down to go get a drink of water or something, and by the time you got back, the other team had already picked up the ball, scored, and won the game." -Kanan Boor in reference to my first 2NR as a novice debater at camp, where I dropped the DA and went for a K I didn't actually understand.