ch3165

Novice

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral
  • Name:CH
  • School:CWI

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

Hi there. From a college that has very little debate support. Me and a partner are doing PF at a tournament autonomously. The only debate either of us have done is on policy-only HS teams. We were hoping to verify with an outside source (again, VERY shallow support network) about the way the debates are framed.

1. If a rez is worded as '[thing] should be banned in the U.S.'. Does that actually imply the USFG as an actor? If the rez was about, say, abortions, would Federalism be a legit con strategy?

2. Is FIAT a thing in PF? Does its use differ going from CX to PF?

3. If I were to construct and attach cases here on CX.com, is that something people would offer critiques on?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

#2 PopcornCzar

PopcornCzar

Junior-Varsity

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:28 PM

I have done PF in the past so I hope that I can help with your questions.  Let me know if you need any more clarification.

1. If a rez is worded as '[thing] should be banned in the U.S.'. Does that actually imply the USFG as an actor? If the rez was about, say, abortions, would Federalism be a legit con strategy?

Well, most resolutions don't use the wording 'thing should be banned in the US'; however, federalism wouldn't be a feasible con strategy because the pro would not have to be held to USFG burden in that instance.  Perhaps NGOs or something else could achieve that action.  Under NSDA rules, plans/CPs are not allowed in PF, but check the rules for your specific circuit!

2. Is FIAT a thing in PF? Does its use differ going from CX to PF?

I suppose fiat is a thing, but I wouldn't call it that and it isn't really a debated issue.  The pro usually argues that the resolution is net beneficial to the status quo and the negative argues that the disadvantages of the action outweigh the advantages.