#41 Smitty

Smitty

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Good
  • Name:sam

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

One of the potential NFL/NSDA topics is national security vs. digital privacy, and a number of summer camps used it as the camp topic.

On the affirmative, communitarianism was a common moral framework. Look into Amitai Etzioni. He's a staple communitarianism author, and he also writes about privacy. By far the most common type of case was a utilitarian AC stressing the impacts of terrorism.

On the negative, beyond generic deontological arguments and libertarian limited government positions, there's plenty of utilitarian literature about how digital privacy violations hurt our relations abroad and also negatively impact e-commerce.

Your topic might play out differently since its not specific to digital privacy rights, although those are the most pressing privacy issue in the news right now.

. Thanks for the pointers. I do think since personal privacy is a different sector of privacy that it might play out differently, but at the same time I can also see affs using terrorism impacts.

4) I can't give you a definite meaning or definition of terrorism. I can say that terrorism exists and it is just a frowned upon term of art used by us and a few other countries.

5) Terrorists would be people who fall under the definition of terrorism, but I don't define that.

#42 Squirrelloid

Squirrelloid

Recognition code 927, I am a potato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
Excellent
  • Name:Nick Johnson
  • School:Westinghouse

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

. Thanks for the pointers. I do think since personal privacy is a different sector of privacy that it might play out differently, but at the same time I can also see affs using terrorism impacts.

Of course, the right response to terrorism impacts is that there is zero evidence NSA's massive invasion of privacy was necessary to prevent even a single instance of terrorism.

#43 Smitty

Smitty

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Good

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Of course, the right response to terrorism impacts is that there is zero evidence NSA's massive invasion of privacy was necessary to prevent even a single instance of terrorism.

yeah I have like 7 different answers to terrorism already for this topic, the big help I need is with evidence on both sides & help with off case

4) I can't give you a definite meaning or definition of terrorism. I can say that terrorism exists and it is just a frowned upon term of art used by us and a few other countries.

5) Terrorists would be people who fall under the definition of terrorism, but I don't define that.

#44 mauchline

mauchline

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Good
  • Name:mauchline2016
  • School:University of Arkansas

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

How does a person run T in LD debate? I am a policy debater transferring to mostly LD!

Also do DA get run in LD?

#45 Arsenal

Arsenal

Varsity

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

How does a person run T in LD debate? I am a policy debater transferring to mostly LD!

Also do DA get run in LD?

It depends on your circuit.

I'm in a really progressive circuit, so there's always some DA's, and yeah there are T args too.

#46 JSJ

JSJ

Novice

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay
  • Name:J
  • School:US

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hey Y'all,

I have done Policy for a bit and am trying LD for the first time. 

I have a few questions:

Aff:

Are the burdens the same? (i.e S-H-I-T)

How do I use Value/Value Criterion?

Do I prove that my case is better than SQ, or my case is better than neg case?

Should I spend more time on line by line arguments or running D/A and K's against the opponents case?

Neg:

Are the burdens the same? Do I need to be topical?

Can I be unconditional?

Is my job to prove the aff case is worse than SQ or to prove my own case is better?

Should I spend more time on line by line or D/A's and K's?

Is running a D/A the same? Uniq- Link- Impact

Is running a K the same? Link-Impact- Alt

What should I go for in the last speeches? 

What are some things I should win for a to make it easy for the judge to vote me up? (i.e Topicality.. ect)

Anything else a brand new LD debater should know?

Thanks all,

J

#47 Smitty

Smitty

Champion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Good

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Hey Y'all,

I have a few questions:

Aff:

No, there are no stock issues. One can argue that there is a hint of solvency, but that is not intrinsic to LD cases. What I mean by this is that you aren't trying to solve for issues that are presented in the topic, but take a stance on them. You can say things like "Only through my criterion can we achieve/solve for justice"

Using like you use framework in policy. You are trying to win framing, so you should present a criterion that can achieve what you think is the best value for that specific topic. It's good to read some lit to be able to find non-generic criterions that are able to explain things in theory but also apply them in real life.

There is not a status quo in LD, so you just have to win that you should negate or affirm the resolution

Should I spend more time on line by line arguments or running D/A and K's against the opponents case?

Depends on the circuit that you are debating in. I'm from a traditional district, so line by line was less of an issue. You should ideally focus on the key issues in the round as they have been presented.

Neg:

Well yes, but no. You have to actually argue things related to the topic, but the aff won't stand up and be like "the NC is untopical vote aff"

Can I be unconditional?

Yes

Is my job to prove the aff case is worse than SQ or to prove my own case is better?

Prove that the aff case is bad and that the resolution should be negated

See answer to this on the aff

Pretty much, but most of the time you can even get out one carded disads

Yes, again very dependent upon circuit

Go for the best impacts you have, usually like 2-3 reasons you win on both sides

What are some things I should win for a to make it easy for the judge to vote me up? (i.e Topicality.. ect)

Framework above all else, and then contention level impacts

Don't treat it like policy 2.0, try to figure out new stuff and be on top of the game. You can transition your knowledge of debating and the flow in general, but try to ease into LD and just learn as you go along. Good luck.

Thanks all,

J

#48 Bentacularmc

Bentacularmc

Novice

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral
  • Name:Ben

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hey Y'all,

I have a few questions:

Aff:

Neg:

Can I be unconditional?

Thanks all,

J

Aff basically has the burden to uphold the exact wording of the resolution. Anything else and its a neg side. However, the resolution can be interpreted very broadly.

A value is the core of your case. Your value criterion is how we measure your value. E.G. your value could be utilitarianism and your value criterion is who maximizing well-being.

You have to prove that your case is superior to the negative while upholding the resolution. 

Don't run K's or DA's on your AFF. in your AC just run a framework (Rawls, Util, Contract) and contentions under that. Only in your 1AR should you bring up DA's or K's. Even then I wouldn't recommend it.\

The Neg simply has to disprove the exact wording of the resolution. The neg is simply disproving. You don't have to run a CP in your neg case. Just simply run some kind of framework.

IDK what you mean by unconditional

You need to either prove that the sqo is fine or that you solve better than the AFF for any problems in the sqo

Like I said DA's and K's aren't super common as opposed to policy. When using them to attack the Aff line by line isn't super important. Because there are a lot of opposing values you need to show why your DA or K precedes, absorbs or weighs better than the aff.

DA's are the same. K's are the same but you need a moral framework to accompany it.

Last speeches you need to weigh values, impacts. Give an overview and voters. E.G. if they have a libertarian FW you need to show why you win on FW (util) and then do impact calc.

Win A priori's>Theory>Topicality>Framework>Contentions

I'm in my 2nd year so this might be a little brief.

Sincerely,

LDBen