Sign in to follow this  
Gonzaga Prep Coach

Extraordinary Rendition

Its fairly easy to run topicality against the case due to the U.S. not having the authority in the S.Q. to extraordinarily render someone to a country where there is torture, its just the U.S. started the program and it got out of hand. There is also arguments against that were not detaining someone, we're just torturing them. Also, depending on plan, there is some pretty decent solvency evidence out there that says the problem won't be solved for because we can't guarentee that we will know what countries do or do not torture. I like the case, but there are some loopholes.

uhh.. holding prisoners so we can torture them is detention. i mean, it's not like we let them live normal daily lives in public, and call them to come in for appointments to beat them. we detain them and beat them while we're detaining them.

but the topicality argument about authority is probably a good argument. also the solvency blocks are a little intriguing... are these about the broad term "extraordinary rendition" or are there more specific keywords one would use to research them?

topicality is definentally a good option. there is also a really good 'do torture counterplan' that michigan 7 week put out. it sounds really stupid but infact it is really good. there are a couple of things you need to win in order to win the counterplan (all in the file)

1. torture is inevitable

2. trying to outlaw torture leads to underground torture - rendition is a perfect example of this and ever step to stop is (since it is inevitable) makes it worse

3. allowing a small amount of torture stops renditions - solves all of case

4. FRAMEWORK - YOU NEED TO WIN THIS; since the net benifit is war on terror it is crutial that you win that death consequentialism is good and deontology is bad

so your 1NC should be

-T: Renditions Illegal now so the USFG has no authority over it

-CP: Do Torture

-NB: War On Terror

-Case: Lots of case agruments specific to renditions becasue the counterplan avoids all of them

hope this helps! PM me if you need anything :wavey:

Sign in to follow this