mellowyellow

novice to varsity

Anshu: I am 1a1n but when i become more experienced, we're gonna start switching. and yes, 1ar is pain in the butt but everyone tells me grouping is my bestfriend when it comes to 1ar because 3 to 4 args could be answered in one. My partner is the same age as me, but she's been debating for a year. We've always done closed cx so that shouldn't be a problem.

*** no one has answered this: Books for K's? preferably by Foucault and Zizek but anything will do.

yea two books i can think of off the top of my head are "history of sexuality" and "discipline and punish", which are both by Foucault.

THANK YOU!

so far what i've got is

1) Understand the concept of theory, K, and fiat

2) lots of A2's

3) polish off my 1AC

4) give good 1AR's

5) find a good CP to defend really well

6) read books of K authors

anything else? anything would be deeply appreciated.

Don't Panic Kritik: A User's Guide

Kritik: Becoming the Teacher One Already Is

Both by Asher Haig, my hero.

I did a little bit of research on those books and wow. it's just what i need! I noticed one could get it at kritikbook.com, but do bookstores like b&n or borders sell these books?

I did a little bit of research on those books and wow. it's just what i need! I noticed one could get it at kritikbook.com, but do bookstores like b&n or borders sell these books?

do you have to buy the books?

For books on Zizek "Ticklish Subject", "Welcome to the Desert of the Real", and "sublime object of ideology" are good I know they sound weird but they are ok books on understanding the arguments many debaters use.

I'd reccomend you meet with your team everyday during that week and run, drill after drill after drill. Practice flowing, and all that fun stuff. Even record yourself onto a tape, and practice flowing that too and maybe make up arguments to counter act that.

i think postmodernism and rejecting the state... someone correct me if i'm wrong.
I highly recommend not running Zizek if you haven't read any of his books and thoroughly understood it. His positions are usually complex and involved to a degree that it's a bad idea to just fly by the seat of your pants.

The easiest one to understand would be the Rev k, though genghis was right when saying that you should read up on him first. And its not like his books arent entertaining...

I'd reccomend you meet with your team everyday during that week and run, drill after drill after drill. Practice flowing, and all that fun stuff. Even record yourself onto a tape, and practice flowing that too and maybe make up arguments to counter act that.

i meet w/ my partner everyday (we're the only cx team)... we dont have a cx squad. For flowing, i watch the videos that were posted on the forum "debate round videos" and flow those. What i noticed was that I always seem to stop flowing after the negative block. I think its because no cards a being read anymore and since you only write the tags, theres no tags in the rebuttals so i don't know what to write, i just listen since the arguments have been narrowed down anyways. I think that's bad. but THANK YOU for the advice.

I highly recommend not running Zizek if you haven't read any of his books and thoroughly understood it. His positions are usually complex and involved to a degree that it's a bad idea to just fly by the seat of your pants.

so i guess i was wrong. I'm definitely not running K's until i have gotten a full grasp on it. But the reason why i ask is because I want to atleast have some understanding of it because I want to be able to defent myself against K debaters.

The easiest one to understand would be the Rev k, though genghis was right when saying that you should read up on him first. And its not like his books arent entertaining...

If you don't mind, could you tell me a little bit about this Rev k?

My intentions about asking about what books they wrote is to read those books.

hey mellow, out of curiousity, what case do you run?

I run a racial prof. case that's pretty lame, so im thinking of changing

korematsu mainly because our old debaters left tubs full of korematsu stuff.

i don't think that just because it's a common case it's lame.

also, kmtsu is a simple but strong case. good choice. i know it pretty well. agent cps will be hard to run against it since you're overturning a SC decision, and politix stuff isnt so good since it's thru the courts. beware of foucault.