Sign in to follow this  
BrianWerth

Anonymous Sources AFF (3-week)

I've been discussing this case over with my team and we have concluded that it would make for interesting debate. Has anyone else seen this case in tournaments or know why this case isn't ran? Any feedback would be very appreciated.

I'm assuming you're talking about the SDI 3-week file?

My partner went to SDI 3-week and brought this file home. It looked initially like a very interesting, unique case, but here's why we decided not to run it:

1) The internal links to the advantages are extremely weak. The cards about why freedom of press = key to democracy are excellent and very case-specific; however, there is virtually NO internal link between domestic 1st amendment rights and international democracy promotion (which all their harms stem from). However, this isn't an outright reason to reject the case - (just a reason why we were too lazy to run it). It could still be successful if

a) you cut some better internal links for democracy promotion

B) you claimed more limited domestic democracy/value of rule of law/"freedom of speech is awesome" impacts. The cards for these are pretty fantastic, especially as it's a recent event so there's tons of editorials, etc.

2) I think any national security or WOT related disad could easily outweigh the case, unless you choose to go critical.

3) The case is flat out not topical. This was the most compelling reason we found. Journalists like Judith Miller WERE CHARGED with contempt of court before being incarcerated. This means either a) the case solves for 0% of its harms (because every internal link they read, etc, deals with the recent media controversy over such journalists), or B) it's just.... not topical.

The file has some okay topicality cards in it, but they are not very responsive, and the counterinterp needed to prove the case topical is pretty abusive.

Sign in to follow this