jwright

Lakeland October 28-29

[The full invite can be found at http://www.joyoftournaments.com/ny/lakeland/info.asp ]

The 30th Annual Westchester Classic

The Lakeland Central School District cordially invites you to the 30th Annual Westchester Classic at Lakeland High School on Friday and Saturday October 28th and 29th, 2005.

We will offer two divisions in three events:

Policy: Novice and Open

LD: Novice and Open

Public Forum: Novice and Open

We will break to an appropriate number of elimination rounds based on the number of entries in each division. A separate "sophomore breakout" will be held for sophomores who are competing in open.

Housing

We are pleased to offer housing for a limited number of our guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Requests for housing must be received by October 1, 2005. For adult coaches and chaperones, we recommend the Peekskill Motor Inn, 634 Main Street, Peekskill, New York, 10566 (914/739-1500). This is "leaf season," so reserve early.

Fees

The entry fee for each two-person debate team is $80.

The entry fee for each Lincoln-Douglas entry is $35.

The entry fee for each Public Forum team is $45. If you are an upstart Public Forum program with a limited budget, contact us for a more limited fee.

There is a $35 school fee

Fees become fixed after Friday, October 21, 2005. Checks should be made payable to Greg Varley. Fees include dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday for all tournament participants.

Judging

At the time of entry in the tournament, each school must provide one competent judge for every two policy debate team entries or four Lincoln-Douglas entries or fractions thereof. A very limited number of judges will be available for hire at a rate of $200 per judge. Requests for hired judging must be received by October 1, 2005. You cannot hire a fraction of a judge, nor can a school completely hire out of its judging commitment unless we have a surplus of hired judges.

Topics

Policy debaters will discuss the NFL policy topic.

Lincoln-Douglas debaters will discuss the September/October topic.

Public Forum debaters will discuss the October Pubic Forum topic.

Judge Rating System

We will use the Community Preference judge rating system that was developed last year for the St. Mark's tournament in policy. We will also afford the maximum number of possible strikes.

Travel

Lakeland is located in Northwest Westchester County, no more than one hour North of New York city and 30 minutes South of Newburgh. The closest airport is Stewart International, but either of the NYC airports are only an hour out. Driving directions will be posted soon.

Round Robin

We will host a policy round robin in New York City on October 30 & 31st. Please email Sbauschard@planetdebate.com if interested.

We encourage you to enter as early as possible.

Stefan Bauschard, Director of Debate, Lakeland Public Schools

1349 East Main Street

Shrub Oak, NY 10588

914/528-0600 extension 375

Sbauschard@planetdebate.com

i think senghas is the best last name ever..:) hahaha wow im weird hope to see everyone at lakeland

i think senghas is the best last name ever..:) hahaha wow im weird hope to see everyone at lakeland

I think a last name that has five v's in it is superior.

It's officially a semis bid, here's the info sheet (nothing's really changed since the one posted on the first one, but I'll post it anyway)

The 30th Annual Westchester Classic

We will accept entries until 10/21

Housing is still available

The Lakeland Central School District cordially invites you to the 30th Annual Westchester Classic at Lakeland High School on Friday and Saturday October 28th and 29th, 2005.

We will offer two divisions in three events:

Policy: Novice and Open

LD: Novice and Open

Public Forum: Novice and Open

We will break to an appropriate number of elimination rounds based on the number of entries in each division. A separate "sophomore breakout" will be held for sophomores who are competing in open.

Housing

We are pleased to offer housing for a limited number of our guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Requests for housing must be received by October 21, 2005. For adult coaches and chaperones, we recommend the Peekskill Motor Inn, 634 Main Street, Peekskill, New York, 10566 (914/739-1500). This is "leaf season," so reserve early.

Fees

The entry fee for each two-person Varsity policy debate team is $80.

The entry fee for each two-person Novice policy debate team is $25.

The entry fee for each Lincoln-Douglas entry is $35.

The entry fee for each Public Forum team is $45. If you are an upstart Public Forum program with a limited budget, contact us for a more limited fee.

There is a $35 school fee

Fees become fixed after Friday, October 21, 2005. Checks should be made payable to Greg Varley. Fees include dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday for all tournament participants.

Judging

At the time of entry in the tournament, each school must provide one competent judge for every two policy debate team entries or four Lincoln-Douglas entries or fractions thereof. A very limited number of judges will be available for hire at a rate of $200 per judge. Requests for hired judging must be received by October 1, 2005. You cannot hire a fraction of a judge, nor can a school completely hire out of its judging commitment unless we have a surplus of hired judges.

Topics

Policy debaters will discuss the NFL policy topic.

Lincoln-Douglas debaters will discuss the September/October topic.

Public Forum debaters will discuss the October Pubic Forum topic.

Judge Rating System

We will use the Community Preference judge rating system that was developed last year for the St. Mark's tournament in policy. We will also afford the maximum number of possible strikes.

Travel

Lakeland is located in Northwest Westchester County, no more than one hour North of New York city and 30 minutes South of Newburgh. The closest airport is Stewart International, but either of the NYC airports are only an hour out. Driving directions will be posted soon.

Round Robin

We will host a policy round robin in New York City on October 30 & 31st. Please email Sbauschard@planetdebate.com if interested.

We encourage you to enter as early as possible.

Stefan Bauschard, Director of Debate, Lakeland Public Schools

1349 East Main Street

Shrub Oak, NY 10588

914/528-0600 extension 375

Sbauschard@planetdebate.com

It doesn't preclude them, it means the top (probably 4, maybe 8) sophomore teams that don't clear in the regular tournament will have their own elimination rounds, for experience purposes only. (well, I think there'll be trophies and stuff, but no bids, you know what I mean)

The circumstances surrounding the Lakeland upgrade are unfortunate...

That said, the region collectively owes Stefan and the Lakeland crew a heartfelt thank you for stepping up and maintaining Northeastern bids.

two questions, will ian be coming and what other teams are going? I know like the whole lex squad will be in the house.

two questions, will ian be coming and what other teams are going? I know like the whole lex squad will be in the house.

All of burlington is going except for Anna/Meaghan.

If this is butterly/tell butterly: I haven't researched the thing we were talking about yet, but I'll try to do so before lakeland.

yea, this is joel, whats up matt. do you guys know what other schools are going? and its ok, if we dont break and we havent hit eachother before, we can do a practice round abotu that thing. peace.

yea, this is joel, whats up matt. do you guys know what other schools are going? and its ok, if we dont break and we havent hit eachother before, we can do a practice round abotu that thing. peace.

Yeah, I have the list of teams. Hit me up on AIM at some point, I'll show you.

No worries with the breakage thing. I guess we could practice round it up with that arg if we have to, though if we don't break we'll be in the soph breakout thingie.

damn no harsha :( how will we all survive??

you shanker will his awesome judging skillz DUH