Sign in to follow this  
Floydian

colin powell and three others resign from bush administration

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/15/powell/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has submitted his resignation to President Bush, the White House said on Monday.

National security adviser Condoleezza Rice is the "likely" choice to succeed Powell, a senior U.S. official told CNN.

Rice is "the president's choice," and an announcement is likely this week, another senior U.S. official said.

Powell is the most prominent of four Cabinet officials whose resignations are expected to be announced Monday, sources told CNN.

The others will be Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman, Education Secretary Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, the sources said.

Powell told his senior staff that he planned to stay on until a replacement was confirmed, State Department officials said.

State Department officials said that Bush and Powell decided mutually that it was time for him to go.

The White House said Powell had been in discussions with Bush about his resignation.

Some administration officials said the secretary had talked of staying on for a month to three months into the new term, because of he wanted to advance a few priorities before stepping down.

But White House officials said it was decided that the secretary's resignation should be announced now.

Several officials said the White House bore no ill will toward Powell, but simply desired to move smoothly through the Cabinet transitions. One said that, had Powell stayed longer, it would have "a ripple effect" on other planned changes.

"It wasn't so much time for him, as it was time for the president," one senior official said, adding that Powell and Bush had been discussing his potential resignation for some time and had come to "mutual agreement."

The State Department officials said that Powell plans to keep working on a number of key issues, including North Korean nuclear talks, the Iraqi elections scheduled for January and the Middle East peace process.

Powell was scheduled to travel to Egypt next week for a conference on Iraq.

A senior official said Monday that the State Department was trying to arrange a meeting between Powell and the new Palestinian leadership, but added the details have not been worked out. A date and place have not been set, the official said.

The official made the comment after Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath told reporters in Gaza City that Powell was expected to meet with the leadership next week in the West Bank.

Okay, seriously. Is anyone actually surprised by this? Do you really think that Powell's role in the administration was anything more than a whipping boy? Meh ... not a whole lot has changed, except that Condi Rice will probably get more airtime, and I'll have to listen to her annoying fucking voice even more.

well it was obvious he was going to leave. when was the last time you heard a word from him? when he spoke to the UN about uranium?

he's too liberal for bush's likings... he needed someone more hardcore...

there was definitely too much conflict going on between the two of them. if i remember from the wmd topic right, colin powell was one of the biggest advocates of sanctions in iraq. it was either he felt they were working, or he felt they would work. feel free to correct me on that, my memory isn't so great.

Either way, he was opposed to invading Iraq. And i'm pretty sure that it wasn't a 'mutual consent' between bush and powell... bush probably said 'hey, colin, you're not helping... buh bye'. and powell said 'mkay... and it was agreed on by us both'.

if only they would have done this before elections, you see, not even the other crazies want to work with Bush

This is why you support the annexation of Kansas and Missouri.

hes a democrat in a republicans body; the one sensible character in the white house- i had no doubt in my mind taht he would leave. unfortunately, now, im going to have to see that gap toothed bitch on screen more often. bleh.