Sign in to follow this  
lickingbluefrogs

Politix in the block

I'm a 2N - if the aff puts like three link turns on the politix da in their 2AC, what should I do in my 2NC? Yeah, this is a pretty stupid question, but should I just extend my links and read like one-card defenses and more !s?

I just need help taking Politics in the 2NC...even if you don't wanna answer my specific question, please give me tips!

Read answers to their link turns - ie. more evidence proving your original links, and evidence disproving their link turns. Also check if those link turns end up double-turning themselves along the story ...

And more impact scenarios ...

I'm a 2N - if the aff puts like three link turns on the politix da in their 2AC, what should I do in my 2NC? Yeah, this is a pretty stupid question, but should I just extend my links and read like one-card defenses and more !s?

I just need help taking Politics in the 2NC...even if you don't wanna answer my specific question, please give me tips!

Its not a stupid question; you're a novice, and you just need help knowing what to do.

This is the way i was taught to extend the disad:

First, you must always include an overview. Pre-write it before the tournament, and explain the story of your disad with brevity. Then, give a couple of reasons for why the disadvantage would outweigh the case, ie: timeframe (happens faster), magnitude (the disad impact is a larger scale), or probablility.

Its also essential that you give a reason for why it turns case; essentially, a reason for why the disadvantage proves the aff makes their harms even worse. Ie: nuclear war between China and US causes there to be a Security council gridlock, which means the UN becomes functionally uses because both sides will always veto the other's propositions.

Make sure its not longer than 30 seconds.

Now you go onto the line by line. On uniqueness, its best to start off by extending the original 1NC card, (extend it by author name, and explain it for a couple of seconds). Then you should read a wall of unqiueness- this is essentially a pre-written block written before the tournament with a whole bunch of reasons for why Uniqueness swings your way, ie: Bush has enough PC now because of election, because of a certain speech, because somebody died. etc.

Now you have to answer all their uniqueness evidence, and you can either do this by reading a card that proves its not true, making an analytic for why its not true or signficant, or proving why you're evidence is better. For example, if they read a card saying Bush has no pc from 2 weeks ago, and a card you read that says he has enough PC is from 2 days ago, you should say, "Prefer our ev. because its more recent."

The same also applies to the links as well; start off with your wall of links, and then go on to answer all their warrants. If they read a card that says that congress hates peacekeeping from 2002, and you've read a card that says they like it from 2004, then cross=apply the card and say you should prefer it because its newer and thus assumes changes in foreign politics.

Just remember to read their evidence as well; especially in politics debates, there can be some shady cards.

can u explain the wall block u shuld write before the tournament again with more details it sounds very useful? thanx ur help is apreciated

o and how do u argue uniqueness if u hav no evidence? by sayin empiriacaly denied? how would you go bout attacking link too?

the uniquness block/wall/whatever you want to call it is just having a bunch of recent cards that all give reasons why your scneario is unique, you read one in the shell, and the aff probobly read 1-5 in the 2ac, you should read some more, then answer theres. You can answer there's by saying 1) you postdate (politics change very quickly) 2) answer their warrent with your "amazing" knowledge 3) argue that your scenarios for uniquness are enough to prove 4) any risk of uniquneess means you win the disad.

If they put a few link turns and non-uniques on it, should I bother reading more impacts? Won't that just help them, so should I spread them out on the link debate in the block by reading more links? Or should I read more impacts anyway?

The best way to adress multiple link turns on the politics debate is to talk about why the 1NC link best interacts with the uniqueness evidence. Then answer their links with a good combination of offense and defense.