Sign in to follow this  
thedb8r

Atl. UDL in the Guardian

Dude, our UDL will kick their UDL's ass anytime

j/k

I suppose I must concur. Chicago's UDL appears to be reigning champ. But then, why crow while others are dying? (and I got the j/k.) What can be done about StL and Detroit? And, I have to ask again, why is there no UDL in the great debate Mecca of Dallas?

(I'm no fun, am I?) (_8^(|)

The problem with St. Louis's UDL is that, to my knowledge, there aren't that many inner city SCHOOLS.

I suppose I must concur. Chicago's UDL appears to be reigning champ. But then, why crow while others are dying? (and I got the j/k.) What can be done about StL and Detroit? And, I have to ask again, why is there no UDL in the great debate Mecca of Dallas?

(I'm no fun, am I?) (_8^(|)

Wait, I thought a Dallas UDL started just last year?

I met some good debaters out of St.Louis' UDL, mostly VP Fine Arts boys Whitney and Mike, but I wasn't aware of their status

The problem with St. Louis's UDL is that, to my knowledge, there aren't that many inner city SCHOOLS.

According to the StL school district's website, they have 11 high schools, which is more than twice as many as the KCMO district. If they were to include East St. Louis, the way we include KCK, they'd probably have more schools than our whole league.

Wait, I thought a Dallas UDL started just last year?

I've heard nothing about this. It doesn't appear on the NAUDL's website, nor does it come up on Google. Doesn't mean there isn't one. I recently learned that Houston has a UDL of sorts that's affiliated with the NFL, though they do parly, or something like that.

I met some good debaters out of St.Louis' UDL, mostly VP Fine Arts boys Whitney and Mike, but I wasn't aware of their status

I remember Whitney and Mike.

From what I understand, the StL school district might actually be more screwed up than the KC school district. There was a man who was running the league, but he left when Whitney and Mike were seniors. Now the league exists in name only, from what I've gathered. There a couple of schools that still have teams, and they compete at local suburban tournaments, but there isn't a solid scene like there is in KC, Chicago and NY. StL hosted the UDL regional championships this past spring, but the tourney was run in essence by an official from the Chicago league, and it was a mess -- which is no judgement on the dude running it, he tried, it's just a lot to pull off with no institutional support.

According to the StL school district's website, they have 11 high schools, which is more than twice as many as the KCMO district. If they were to include East St. Louis, the way we include KCK, they'd probably have more schools than our whole league.

East St. Louis is in Illinois, not St. Louis. I mean I dunno a lot about the UDL, but I guess I'm unsure about whether a school outside of the city can actually be in the schools UDL.

But whatever that's not important. I have actually been thinking a lot about the St. Louis UDL and I'm sad that it is dieing. I would love to see it flourish. I was just curious if anyone here knew of anything I could do, or debaters from my area could do, to help revamp the UDL? I don't have a ton of cash, but I would be willing to offer a bunch of assisstance to the league, but I am just confused about how everything works. Anybody wanna help?

East St. Louis is in Illinois, not St. Louis. I mean I dunno a lot about the UDL, but I guess I'm unsure about whether a school outside of the city can actually be in the schools UDL.

But whatever that's not important. I have actually been thinking a lot about the St. Louis UDL and I'm sad that it is dieing. I would love to see it flourish. I was just curious if anyone here knew of anything I could do, or debaters from my area could do, to help revamp the UDL? I don't have a ton of cash, but I would be willing to offer a bunch of assisstance to the league, but I am just confused about how everything works. Anybody wanna help?

Our UDL spans the Kansas and Missouri stateline.

As far as what to do about the StL UDL, I'm not sure what to say. From what I understand, it's a school-district issue. Urban school districts are notoriously mismanaged. Also there isn't an active community sponsor there. Here in KC, UMKC -- namely Linda Collier and Holly Reiss and now Gabe Cook and Amy Wilson -- has have done a lot of work laying a solid foundation. It would be great if UMSL would do the same. But my sense is they don't have a strong debate program at their school; the way I understand it is that the MU divides up the areas of expertise, i.e. KC has the top debate program, but no real journalism department to speak of, while Columbia has the opposite. And, with budget restraints, odds are neither StL nor Columbia will have a lot of money to build debate programs. Consequently UMSL probably won't have folks interested in taking on the UDL projecy. Make sense?

I think it's really cool that you want to do something. I think the biggest help would be for Belleview to continue to host an excellent tournament, and to make sure StL teams are invited, and that they're made to feel at home when they get there. I know our debaters have really enjoyed their experiences there. (Hopefully it won't be the same weekend as Caucus this year.)

Yeah, we are trying to figure out a date that doesn't conflict with other tournaments. We would love it if you all attended next year. And, for the record, it's Belleville. It's not a big deal or anything, just an FYI. Thanks for the help though.

Yeah, we are trying to figure out a date that doesn't conflict with other tournaments. We would love it if you all attended next year. And, for the record, it's Belleville. It's not a big deal or anything, just an FYI. Thanks for the help though.

Sorry. There's a street in my neighborhood called Belleview. CHalk it under Internet typo.

The Detroit UDL is even more depressing.

That's what I've heard. What's the story there? Is Wayne State involved? What about Michigan? Ann Arbor's only like 45 minutes away, isn't it?

That's what I've heard. What's the story there? Is Wayne State involved? What about Michigan? Ann Arbor's only like 45 minutes away, isn't it?

yeah Wayne sponsors the UDL. Yes Michigan is like an hour away but the UDL sponsor is pretty much all done by Wayne. But I think they are having problems with money or getting people to join, something of that nature. ITs really sad

yeah, wayne state has a lot of involvement with the UDL. a lot of hosting and assorted other help. money problems are a large part, the large grant/endowment given to the UDL has slowly run out over the years and there really isn't much to replace it with. the programs are also unable to get a large number of applicants and it even has a hard time retaining debaters. usually when we go to judge or help out, there are only a few returning faces among the students. we've talked about how to help out hte program, but from the limited role we can take, its really frustrating.