Darkness

Ashburn Residents Going To GMU

I was wondering if anyone from Asuburn or lives near Broad Run is planning on commuting to GMU? I am a bit shocked at the external costs involved. $5-$15 a day + at least $10 for lunch and dinner, but anyhow, is anyone interested in carpooling? Also, if anyone knows, does it really require at least 25 dollars a day? Also what exactly are Copys?

ON a related note to GMU..does anyone know who is going to be in the LD Camp? Mrs. H. (She's running the first week) is wondering.

Thanks,

MR. H.

I was wondering if anyone from Asuburn or lives near Broad Run is planning on commuting to GMU? I am a bit shocked at the external costs involved. $5-$15 a day + at least $10 for lunch and dinner, but anyhow, is anyone interested in carpooling? Also, if anyone knows, does it really require at least 25 dollars a day? Also what exactly are Copys?

i went to GMU last summer and no, it's really not $25 a day... then again, i was in the patriot classic lab not the mason fellows/juniors so it may be different... in any case, i think u'll be fine. the money is mostly for food (so depending on how much u eat, u may spend a lot) and copies for blocks and evidence u print out urself and stuff like that.

Thanks a bunch. I was somewhat confused about the eating situation as well - should I just bring some money for meals or is there a plan or is the Mason Money any good?

Thanks a bunch. I was somewhat confused about the eating situation as well - should I just bring some money for meals or is there a plan or is the Mason Money any good?

Does anybody know the answer to this?

i brought cash last year, and will probably again, there is a meal plan option thing that was mentioned in the updated registration, and i don't know how to create mason money.

and commutting sucks, staying is a lot easier, unless u like spending 2 hours in a car everyday for 3 weeks, but thats just me. Also, you miss practice debates and stuff after dinner

This is shockingly low. Contrary to what many debaters think - you really should be expanding your research beyond websites (especially on this topic). That means opening up books and copying chapters (which, I suspect will cost money on a copy card at the library - usually somewhere in the 5 to 10 cents / pg. range).

It doesn't take long for good research to start costing good money.

In the days before there was the amount of content available online - you would easily blow through $30-50 a day in copies alone.

<< In the days before there was the amount of content available online - you would easily blow through $30-50 a day in copies alone. >>

ANd that was either at a nickle or a dime at a time - depending on the copy price at the University. I remember the days of walking in with huge cups of change and taking over a copier for a few hours...I don't miss them, but Seth's right - $5 to $15 is really cheap.

Mr. H.

or you can abuse the system, board theere, and bring your own scanner, pc, and printer, so that u can copy and print much cheaper,

that's my way to go

I wanted to do some research at GMU's library, but it turns out that part of the Fenwick library is closed for renovation this summer. In particular - the history and philosophy sections. Oy. :(

I wanted to do some research at GMU's library, but it turns out that part of the Fenwick library is closed for renovation this summer. In particular - the history and philosophy sections. Oy. :(

that's unfortunate, seeing as i'd need to use it too

I think this calls for a WACFL field trip to another library. Maybe UVA? Maybe JMU? Maybe Georgetown?

Or.... does anyone know how I might get a copy of Gewirth's Community of Rights and/or Reason & Morality?

i brought cash last year, and will probably again, there is a meal plan option thing that was mentioned in the updated registration, and i don't know how to create mason money.

and commutting sucks, staying is a lot easier, unless u like spending 2 hours in a car everyday for 3 weeks, but thats just me. Also, you miss practice debates and stuff after dinner

How much is a good amount to bring in total for meals and evidence? Thanks.

Math time:

3 weeks is 21 days

21 X $10 day for food = $210

21 X $10 day for coppying = $210

210 + 210= 420

or you can do the meal plan thing, or buy mason money, so your not carrying it all around with you

• Upvote 1