Sign in to follow this  
Incoherency

FoPo Vagueness

I've been looking through camp files and all of them (including mine) seem to have some pretty vague defs for foreign policy. Has anyone come across any nice specific FoPo defs? If so, please post them here and/or the definition thread.

I'm not sure what you consider "too vague," but here are a few:

American Heritage Dictionary: "The diplomatic policy of a nation in its interactions with other nations."

Merriam-Webster: "the policy of a sovereign state in its interaction with other sovereign states"

Ultralingua: "A policy governing international relations"

If you're looking for something more extensive, you might try this one:

the objectives pursued by a state in its dealings with other states, and the methods and course of action used to pursue them. P. A. Reynolds, in An Introduction to International Relations, defines foreign policy as "The range of actions taken by varying sections of the government of a state in its relations with other bodies similarly acting on the international stage . . . in order to advance the national interest."
This comes from an online polsci dictionary which can be found here.

Hope this helps...

• Downvote 1

Nope, Kirky. Good guess, but I was actually looking for a aff counter def that didn't seem so open ended that the neg could laugh it off as being completely underlimiting.

Nope, Kirky. Good guess, but I was actually looking for a aff counter def that didn't seem so open ended that the neg could laugh it off as being completely underlimiting.

Umm, that's why we have the entire rest of the resolution to specify what KIND of foreign policy we enact. They'd have to be pretty stupid to laugh off those definitions. Which one did they give in the shell?