ktex83

Language of Debate?

I have a thought/question. What if the 1AC were delivered in a language other than English? Assuming you didn't know that language, what would your 1NC/neg strategy be like? And if that happened, would the Aff be confined to only using the alternate language...b/c if they did respond with English in the 2AC, that could open the door to a whole host of abuse and Kritik arguments. As far as I know, most debate organizations around the nation don't have rules limiting the discussion to English. Thoughts....?

The resolution is in English so if their plan isn't then they aren't topical. Oh yeah, and obviously run a giant discourse kritik, claim tons of abuse, and maybe argue that since the rules for debate are in english that's the only language it be done in by the rules. Very interesting question though.

Edit: I wonder what it's like to see someone spreading in a foreign language.

there are no rules. this would be an aweswome performance. i think i've heard of someone reading a consult japan text in japanese, but not a whole speech.

The resolution is in English so if their plan isn't then they aren't topical.

The "rez is in english, therefore you're not topical" is a horrible argument, you'd have a better chance to get this argument if you argue for english syntax, and therefore, a grammtical reading of the resolution is key. But the plan text will be in english if the aff has a brain, and I don't think T applies to the rest of the 1AC.

Oh yeah, and obviously run a giant discourse kritik

What discourse K? English should rule all communication? The Team running this aff would murder the block on imperialism-type args and what not.

claim tons of abuse, and maybe argue that since the rules for debate are in english that's the only language it be done in by the rules.

This is quite the palpable strat for the neg. But I don't think the aff would be so horrendous and asking for a loss that they wouldn't at least answer all your CX questions in a clear manner, from which you could develop a neg strat, which would at least act as defense against the argument.

Reciprocity would be a very interesting question. I had a team which ran this kind of argument @ the Gbrooks, lost on abuse of course though the 1A DID NOT want to go for this his partner did. Its a real conflict b/c english is simply assumed as what we are going to speak in debate.

There was a guy on my squad who (as a joke) printed a translated copy of his 1ac and gave it to a team when they asked for the case in the first CX. They didn't find it funny.

I think you could definately run some T on them w/ framer's intent as a standard.

I don't think the aff would be so horrendous and asking for a loss that they wouldn't at least answer all your CX questions in a clear manner, from which you could develop a neg strat, which would at least act as defense against the argument.

If the aff was given in a language the neg didn't understand then the entire 1AC would be mooted and only CX would matter. Why bother wasting 8 minutes of people's time if no one is gaining anything out of it. It's bad for education and it makes it near impossible for the neg to argue since they don't know what the cards say. Even if they ask they can't possibly catch up on an 8 minute speech in a 3 minute CX.

If the aff was given in a language the neg didn't understand ... no one is gaining anything out of it. It's bad for education .

that's what you argue. you say debate's about education, and the affirmative team has provided no education, at least not that anyone can understand.

meh, it still seems dumb, but that's where i'd go with it.

So would you translate the cards from english to spanish, or would you have to use spanish cards? (I am assuming the other language is spanish)

what if the neg knew the language that the affirmatve team used... oh that would be a kick to the balls for the 1ac, why not read the 1ac in pig latin

If someone read the ENTIRE 1AC in a different language, I wouldn't try to figure out what was going on in CX. I would simply skip ANY CX after the 1AC. That way, if the judge can't understand the language, then it is all pretty moot.

My coach told me about a radio that was done in spanish one time. The funny part is the spanish teacher at teh tourney was the judge that round, and the kid cussed alot. The judge told the tourney director, and the kid got disqualified. I think it's funny, but I guess they didn't think so

If neither the 2nd team or judge knows the language then the negative should 1) argue that hte affimraitve hasnt provided an understandable argument, so they lose. 2) run abuse, the aff also speaks english, and the neg does too, they did hte langague TO abuse us. 3) run a generic resolutional argument (k,cp,da, whatever)

If the 2nd team doenst know the langue and the judge does: 2 + 3 apply.

If the 2nd team does, and the judge doest, 1 and 3 apply.

there are no rules. this would be an aweswome performance. i think i've heard of someone reading a consult japan text in japanese, but not a whole speech.
Performance you can do a different language cuase there are no ruule in debate but you have to be topical you have to have on case like hame solve ect. and line by line

Guest Merkin
If the 1AC is in a language that is not understood by the neg then all the neg has to do is run a counter plan and say they judge can vote as soon as their time is up because they have provided the only understandable advocacy and the entire 1AC goes unflowed. If the judge understands the language being spoken but the neg then do the same. If the Aff swichtes back to english for thier 2AC then run advocacy shift/ abuse ext. At the end simply explain that either the Aff has no advocacy or they are incredibly abusive, either way it flows neg.

abuse good?

I wonder who the judge would vote for if an entire round was done in a language he or she didn't understand. Now that'd be interesting.

no it wouldn't... it would just be a random decision.

Any judge who didn't know the language the speech was given in would be an idiot if they were like "whoa... what a cool criticism of 'the west'" and had no idea what was going on. I would get a facial expression of the judge... determine if he/she knew the language and if not, in my next speech I wouldn't try to respond to anything... I'd just pull my 1ac across speech after speech.

Wow, the answers I've heard on this thread are bad, bad, bad... and when I think about it somemore dumb. I'm glad Benoit was on here to post some half way intellegent remarks ( ;-P) The only decent argument I've heard on here was some sort of education extrapulation that could be made but come on "Cp the 1ac in english?", "the framers felt it needs to be in english?", "T?"...? T what resolved, colon... T- USFG= in english ???, and "the rules are in english?".. come on you people can't be serious. :BB

Also, think about on a pragmatic level... there is debate institutes all over the world.. has anyone heard of WDI or the thriving policy debate in Asia?

I think that the imperalism/eurocentric arugment is good aff offense.

On another note a college team does some of their speeches in Spanish in order to perform the intrinsic violence that they feel English can't account for and to help in their genelogy of the res and they did decent at the NDT.

So in closing: "adiós"

Oops.. sorry you might Cp out of that and then the tripple whammy, I might lose on T :rolleyes:

The reason the arguement was made to just run a generic CP was for the judges sake. If the judge has no idea what the other team is saying. Then the NEG reads a generic CP in english, then any judge in that position would vote NEG because he has no other choice if he cant undertand the language. But the argument of not being topical I disagree with. Just because the rez is in english doesnt mean the case has to be.

But I still feel that any judge that had no idea what the Aff was saying, and could understand the NEG, then that judge would vote NEG.