savethewhales810

are pictures args?

Any responses? I am interested by this.

yes, i think they are. i used maps this year against the khorasan pic as a solvency takeout

we have three different positions that use pictures total this year, also some of our best arguments are based around works of art

A picture is a sequence of colors projected toward your eyes, usually to convey information.

A speech is a long sequence of sounds projected toward your ears, usually to convey information.

Arguments are information shared with the idea of proving or disproving an idea. This information can be encapsulated within a verbal speech, or a visual aid like a photograph, a stencil portrait, a graph, a political cartoon or any number of other forms.

We don't see many visual aids in debate because it is traditionally a spoken activity. I can't think of any reason to make a rule against using a picture or a chart as evidence - it's just that they don't really provide the kind of information we're usually looking for in a good piece of debate evidence.

• Upvote 1

If it has a claim and a warrant it is an argument. Pictures can make very vague and subjective arguments, but they are still arguments. Pictures are usually bad arguments, because of this inherent vagueness and not all pictures are arguments.

This

Of course pictures are arguments, letters are pictures that represent a piece of a word...