Sign in to follow this  
eldiablo84_06

Hollow Hope

I hear this disad can kick a lil bit of ass on this years topic, unfortunately I havent seen any shells or the warrants to the some of the literature. For the most part i know its about movements, and the link scenario plays out to be quite like: case allows a large flow of litigation, this litigation is going to be dismissed right and left by the SC; MPX: the movement that case was intent on advancing is now fucked over and out, and or allows for the movement to become a target of groups opposed to this movement. Does anyone know how the rest of the shell plays out, and or have opinions about how well this will function strategically as a case turn, or just as a good off case position?

Thanx

-BUTCH OPHS-

P.S- if there is already a thread on this (im too lazy to look) post the URL

this da says that rights victories attract new litigants in 'hopes' of obtaining additional victories. but their hopes are hollow. whoa. who knew.

i dont really know the mpx, i think it is that litigation undermines social change, in this case, an increase in civil lib. and the Sc is gonna kill it anyway, so it works as a trun of 'protecting civil liberties.' instead the aff is hurting civil lib.

I've never really seen a shell for this arg. but my familiarity with the lit base would incline me to say that it kind of is a movements argument/long term solvency mitigator (which might be especially interesting on a civil liberties topic).

Rob

I think whitman, guessing, put out a hollow hope DA on mental health. I doubt anyone still has it, but it would give you a better idea on what the DA is.

most hollow hope das have had something along lines of the following structure:

a) uniqueness: social movements are abandoning courts and shifting towards legislative reforms

B) when social movements channel efforts towards litigation, courts act as flypaper sucking up resources, creating an illusion and preventing social change which takes out solvency and turns case.

its a relatively easy da to construct--uniqueness can just be found using a lexis search and the rest is from a book called "the hollow hope: can courts bring about social change?" by gerald rosenberg. hope this helps.

I think whitman, guessing, put out a hollow hope DA on mental health. I doubt anyone still has it, but it would give you a better idea on what the DA is.

I have the file around here somewhere, but it's a matter of finding it. From what I remember, though, John is right -- the impacts are a bit lacking.

i think the impacts are a bit underrated......

if it is a social change AFF like a demand or something that claims to create social change it would be great to say they prevent the social change they are trying to cause........turns solvency totally and it gets you access to weigh your other DA's so that they cant say thier social movement comes b/f the mpx of the DA.....that is just what i think.....

I have a copy of a large hollow hope file, and an essay regarding it. If you are interested pm me with your email and I can send them to you. Not AIM though because I do not have it.

I think I have this shell too, just AIM me at osagedb8r or PM me, and I can send it to ya Butch.

Sign in to follow this