achs_debater24

Lawrence Tourney Dec 3rd

Blah blah blah, I'm David Holzman, and I'm confused. Blah blah blah.

Ouch you hurt, i think i might go cry and kill myself tonight....you ass. lol.

okay so it is open, varsity, champ....gosh why couldn't someone have just CONFIRMED that instead of being a complete jackass, thanks Alex, you da man. or should i say WOMYN.

Cook/Lykes. Varsity...sorry to drag you all through my mental deliberations about which division to enter. Personally, I want to go Champ but the fact that our district tournament has (nearly) infamously "non-Champ quality" judging, we (see Josh Lykes) decided that we should take it down a notch from Topeka Champ.

Does anyone know about how many teams are going to be in each division? or what all school are going to be there?

Hey,

My name is Phil Samuels and I have been thinking about judging at the Lawrence High debate tournament, but no one has told me anyhting about it. If yall still need judging then please email me at psamuels@ku.edu. Peace Phil

I'll probably be there in V.
rubanger will probably be there, most likely in VO...nothing confirmed though

So, is Varsity going to morph into champ because of the district slowdown?

I figure that in VO, there'll be some rounds were you'll have mom and pop in the back of the room, and that's your chance to adapt for districts. There'll be some rounds were you have old school judges and that too could be useful for districts. If, by the off chance there's all college judges, I figure it'd be useful to slow some of the rounds down, for me it'd probably be 3-4 of them. But once one feels prepared for districts, if one has a college judge and finds it strategic to go fast and run certain arguments, then why not? I figure it'll go down two ways; either a) you'll get enough slow rounds to be prepared for districts and a couple fast rounds in order to break or do well at the tournament or B) you'll have all fast rounds and either get lucky as hell at districts or accept the fact that you didn't take the opportunity to get the necessary preperation. :S:

BTW: Skoglund, will you and Bucholz be making an apperance at EK Districts?...just...curious...you know.... :wavey:

Varsity at Lawrence is always a tough division.

When we went last year, we hit Roath/Brockman from Hutch, Sarah/Rachel from T-High, and Beach/Strom from Winfield...and those were the power-matched rounds after we started up 0-2.

Proposition to all entering the Varsity division:

Premise: this tournament is widely being used as a slowdown for districts.

Conclusion: all debaters should shun speed even with college flow judges in the back of the room.

Thoughts?

The reason why this is a preparation for districts is not that it will be slow, it's that you have to be prepared for everything. Example: Last year at lawrence varsity, Austin and I had to debate in front of Lindy Simonsen (KU's A team), Mr. "I debated 20 years ago but am cool enough to flow on a legal pad", and Mrs. "My son signed me up for this, what's a resolution?".

I think that saying people should shun speed in front of judges who are cool with it is saying that you shouldn't adapt to your judge.

I say just roll with whoever you have the way you feel comfortable debating.

peace

alex

that round was hot! I agree with Alex Ive been keeping my mouth shut since 1) I wont be there (I'll be at CFLs) and 2) I dont want to sound like an upity champ judge but if debating how you normally would in front of me is going to result in you not getting out of districts I dont know why I would even judge, we want ya'll to learn about different things and be successful but if we're just getting in the way whats the point? and this isnt about speed hell I dont care if you speed in the first place thats your choice but its more about types of arguement... if I really have to sit there and listen to a stock issues debate I really dont know what I'll do besides feel entirely unqualified. No Im serious my roommates and I have had plenty of a discussion on how to judge a debate like that and we really dont know (I'll speak for matt and I not jared) its not something we really ever learned but hey like I said the debate is for ya'll do as you wish. Thats just my 1/2 a cent.

Lindy

Lindy - i doubt that you could not handle judging a stock issues round. ;)

I think the point that mark was TRYING to make was that, most people are using this tournament as a way to try and slow down from the contemporary style of the season, in order to be prepared to go to districts. And looking at the teams that seem to be doing the same, mark was claiming that it does not seem beneficial to hit one of them with a college judge, because no slow down would occur, hence mark's preposal. While i do not like slowing down if i have the right opponent and the right judge, i do think it is the best thing to all that are going for districts (and i am sure the judge could live for a round or two lol) The second reason for this is that i believe, if a slow down would not occur in varsity it seems rather unfair for a 4th year to participate in open when there are 2 divisions above it, just so he can get slower rounds. this could be wrong, but it is just my observations.

Lindy - i doubt that you could not handle judging a stock issues round. ;)

I think the point that mark was TRYING to make was that, most people are using this tournament as a way to try and slow down from the contemporary style of the season, in order to be prepared to go to districts. And looking at the teams that seem to be doing the same, mark was claiming that it does not seem beneficial to hit one of them with a college judge, because no slow down would occur, hence mark's preposal. While i do not like slowing down if i have the right opponent and the right judge, i do think it is the best thing to all that are going for districts (and i am sure the judge could live for a round or two lol) The second reason for this is that i believe, if a slow down would not occur in varsity it seems rather unfair for a 4th year to participate in open when there are 2 divisions above it, just so he can get slower rounds. this could be wrong, but it is just my observations.

I agree that your district tournament will likely be "lay". So, if you hit a non-varsity or champ team and find it valuable to prepare for the district tournament then that's your business. But I wouldn't be surprised if teams still trying to get into DCI will be considering any form of debate necessary to win the round. If you really want a slow debate, go to Pittsburg? I think that's the other tournament next weekend, get your lay on their. They recruit college judges for a reason, it's your risk if the other team doesnt wanna play the mom and pop game. Also, some kids are using Lawrence to prepare for state and dci...so they should have that opportunity.

-Jared

Easy way out: send all champ judges to STA for CFL qualifiers. :P

(sorry if this seems a shameless attempt to get more high-flow judging at CFL qualifiers.)

Jared - yes you are completely correct, it is unfair to ask someone to go down in speed or change their style so you can prepare for districts, however isn't it also unfair for champier teams to be doing that in a varsity division when a CHAMP division is available for them to do that and not abuse teams who do not/ can not participate in that style?

Steve - that wouldn't be nice for their champ division now would it?

Jared - yes you are completely correct, it is unfair to ask someone to go down in speed or change their style so you can prepare for districts, however isn't it also unfair for champier teams to be doing that in a varsity division when a CHAMP division is available for them to do that and not abuse teams who do not/ can not participate in that style?

Steve - that wouldn't be nice for their champ division now would it?

I totally agree. The three champ teams in the state should stay in the champ division. Considering you probably have more champish judges than teams then some will find their way into the varsity division and it's your decision on whether preparation for districts (so judge, ive got these stock issues) is more important to talk about than the counter plan. Either way, I still think a trip to Pittsburg is really the best way to get ready for either EK's or Three Trails. Finally, Steve you rock.

-Jared

I don't imagine any of this being too big of a problem. There is a champ division in lawrence that will probably subsume a lot of the high flow judges. If you want slower debate, go varsity. If you get a high flow judge in varsity, roll with it. Adaptation is what it's all about.

peace

alex