tears_for_fears

CLS (critical legal studies)

Ive done a little reading, but i still have some questions. First, how will this link next year? Will the links be super generic? or will it only link really well to a few specific cases? And i still dont understand the alternative, what would the world be like with no rights? thanks

uhh this will link hard as fuck CLS is a kritik of law it essentially links to all cases and the claim is in the end you use the same fucked up legal system which entrenchs you in the same stupid law process... i mean i dont know what the specific alternative we ran this on the ocean topic its an alright kritik not the best

Could CLS be run as a net benefit to a Congress CP from a courts actor?

No. CLS is a critique of law itself, not who implements them.

A short explaination:

Traditional legal theory is based on the concept that all people are equal under the law (e.g. "the rule of law.") This assumes that our understandings of what constitutes a certain action - or even what constitutes a person - are static and never changing, when in reality people have different understandings of morality and what not. Critical legal scholars argue that although laws appear neutral and fair, they are actually designed by the elite and powerful to impose their views on entire populations while surpressing resistant or outside viewpoints. The common example used by crit scholars is the civil rights movement. The varying political factions - conservative whites favoring segregation, black power groups, coalitions and white liberals have all acted with their own interests in mind. "Rights" laws are rarely value neutral - this is why conservatives decry affirmative action as "reverse racism" while liberals argue that such laws are progressive. More radical scholars go beyond arguing that rights and laws are simply power plays - they suggest that laws themselves lack any philosophical or moral grounding and are ultimately carved out of blood, and hence themselves violent.

Regardless, the K is not net beneficial to said counterplan.

• Downvote 2

Ive done a little reading, but i still have some questions. First, how will this link next year? Will the links be super generic? or will it only link really well to a few specific cases? And i still dont understand the alternative, what would the world be like with no rights? thanks

What in God's name is CLS? 0.o

i dont think there would be an alt....just a case turn.....i cant see an alt. other than like a rejection or something.....

i dont think there would be an alt....just a case turn.....i cant see an alt. other than like a rejection or something.....

and how is rejection of the legal system not an alternative?

and how is rejection of the legal system not an alternative?

I think he meant the rejection of the Affirmative team, also known as a vote for the Negative. However, I could be wrong.

Given that the resolution could be interpreted as removing laws and repealling current power, how is CLS not straight turned by most Affs? I understand the general, but you have to go through the system so it's co-opted thing, but unless the alt is worded as a complete rejection of the current legal system, which I think the aff could easily answer by saying that they take a step in the right direction, and it forces the law to exert less power in other areas, I would think this could be turned pretty easily.

THE WGLF WILL BE RELEASING AN ORIGINALLY RESEARCHED CLS FILE TO EVAZON IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. ALL YOUR ANSWERS WILL BE QUESTIONED......?

I may be wrong but isn't the idea that just b/c a law is passed doesn't mean it will be obeyed part of CLS?

I may be wrong but isn't the idea that just b/c a law is passed doesn't mean it will be obeyed part of CLS?

yea, thats a main argument we made, and most CLS files have large sections on why law is indeterminate. The cards talk about how judges can skirt around laws and interpret them in their own way, stuff like that.

i think a well trained novice or jv debater couild do extremely well with this kritik next year and win a lot of rounds on it but at the varsity level, while it will win some rounds, i don't see it winning a disproportionate amount of rounds. either way its still a decent k

alternative: anarchy

it didn't end up being nearly that big on the mhc topic as people thought it would at summer camps; maybe that'll be the case on civil liberties.

anarchy empericaly denied- people will always have some sort of organized government

besides anarchy is a horrible way to go don't do it

MHC wasn't as involved with the courts as it will be this year, almost every plan this year will have some sort of court ruling or congressional activity going on, there is almost no way around getting 'down and dirty' with legal discourse which makes this kritik very likely next year, especially at the novice jv level where people aren't as well versed in kritiks, giving the ones that know how to debate the K a tremendous advantage, this K will be seen a lot

anarchy empericaly denied- people will always have some sort of organized government

besides anarchy is a horrible way to go don't do it

not that i ran it, but you can make anarchy work. people aren't ready to debate it in depth even if they have files. it solves cls a bit better than rejecting the aff.

if you're going to go for it all with the anarchy alternative, wouldn't you at least have some better implications than "studies of the law bad?"

if you're going to go for it all with the anarchy alternative, wouldn't you at least have some better implications than "studies of the law bad?"

not if they're real bad