cardman08

Any predictions for GOP nominee for governor...

It's going to be a right-wing knee-jerk reactionary. That I'll guarantee.

My not-so-bold prediction: Despite what he's currently saying, sometime around November, Philllllllllllllll Kline'll announce that he's decided to run for governor because of "all of the people who have asked me to consider running" or some line of BS similar to that. He'll run, and since he's currently the leading conservative nut in this state, he'll get the nomination.

Ha, good call Dustin. I guess this kid is just asking the men about their political opinions. Kinda hard to verify genitalia over the internet though. Interesting.

On the topic though: I really hope Phil Kline just sort of falls out of politics. That guy is one scary republican.

of course he was just asking men, i mean, women don't really know anything about politics anyway...

Ha, good call Dustin. I guess this kid is just asking the men about their political opinions. Kinda hard to verify genitalia over the internet though. Interesting.

On the topic though: I really hope Phil Kline just sort of falls out of politics. That guy is one scary republican.

Guys is gender neutral.

One of my professors that knows Brownback said that he is going to run for govenor....to get him out of the senate, clean his record a bit, for an 08 presidential run....He also said that Tihart is going to go after the senate seat.

Kline won't run, he said he wouldn't, that he wanted to run for Attorny General again.

I bet Brownback could win.

i kinda feel like an idiot asking this, but I honestly do not know; what are the term limits for KS governors?

i kinda feel like an idiot asking this, but I honestly do not know; what are the term limits for KS governors?

Two consecutive four-year terms.

Kline won't run, he said he wouldn't, that he wanted to run for Attorny General again.

I bet Brownback could win.

Kline also said that he would fairly enforce the laws of Kansas, and not use the office of the attorney general to advance a hardline right-wing agenda. Looks like he went back on that promise. If they can't find a plausible conservative candidate, then I bet there'll be some sort of little "Draft Kline" movement, and Kline will decide to run, citing the "huge" number of people who had urged him to run. If Kline runs, he wins the GOP primary.

Although Brownback might win, there's no reason for him to run for governor. Why would he run when he could lose (although that might be unlikely), and would hand over his Senate seat to a Democrat? If he runs and wins, then Sebelius would get to appoint the replacement to his Senate seat (who would be a U.S. Senator until the next general election), and if he runs and loses he torpedoes his chance to become President. There's no chance Brownback runs.

Brownback would NOT lose the race....The senate seat would never go to a democrat...and if he wants a serious chance at the presidency he needs to get the hell out of the senate...you take way to many votes and they haunt you

Poppycock.

Blah, Zahra, hit me up on AIM sometime, I still don't understand where you're coming from on this battle, but this forum isn't really the place for the discussion since it's already been hashed out so many times previously.

To solve patriarchy, this quote has been gender paraphrased.

womyn don't really know anything about politics anyway...

Brownback would NOT lose the race....The senate seat would never go to a democrat...and if he wants a serious chance at the presidency he needs to get the hell out of the senate...you take way to many votes and they haunt you

On the "seat'll never go to a Democrat" bit: The Senate seat would go to a Democrat if Brownback won. Either:

1) Brownback resigns from his seat early to run for governor, in which case Sebelius gets to appoint a replacement until the general election--in seven to eight months. This person instantly becomes the second-best known Democrat in the state, and a much tougher opponent for Mr. Tiahrt.

2) Brownback wins, in which case he resigns to become governor, and Sebelius appoints a replacement until the next election--in two years--before she leaves office.

Seeing as it looks more and more likely by the day that the 2006 mid-terms will be a good shot for nationwide Democratic gains, it's unlikely that Brownback would want to put his Senate seat either up for grabs or in the hands of the Democrats. If Brownback loses, it's bye-bye White House anyway.

On the "he'll never lose" bit: Brownback is almost a clone of Tim Shallenburger issue-wise. If Shallenburger can lose to a Democrat, then so can Brownback. Do I think it's likely that Brownback'll lose to Sebelius? No. But it's important to remember that Sebelius is an effective campaigner who'll have a good political machine (see, have raised a ton of money) by the time the next election rolls around.

On the whole "too many controversial votes" bit: Brownback will have been in the Senate for 10 years by the time that the next election for Governor happens. Two more years of votes in the Senate (including one year that he'll spend almot exclusively in Iowa and New Hampshire) isn't going to do anything more to his record. The votes that could/should/would really haunt him have already happened.

Conclusion: Brownback has nothing to gain by running for governor. He's a smart politican, and if I can figure this out, so can he.

On the "seat'll never go to a Democrat" bit: The Senate seat would go to a Democrat if Brownback won. Either:

1) Brownback resigns from his seat early to run for governor, in which case Sebelius gets to appoint a replacement until the general election--in seven to eight months. This person instantly becomes the second-best known Democrat in the state, and a much tougher opponent for Mr. Tiahrt.

2) Brownback wins, in which case he resigns to become governor, and Sebelius appoints a replacement until the next election--in two years--before she leaves office.

Seeing as it looks more and more likely by the day that the 2006 mid-terms will be a good shot for nationwide Democratic gains, it's unlikely that Brownback would want to put his Senate seat either up for grabs or in the hands of the Democrats. If Brownback loses, it's bye-bye White House anyway.

On the "he'll never lose" bit: Brownback is almost a clone of Tim Shallenburger issue-wise. If Shallenburger can lose to a Democrat, then so can Brownback. Do I think it's likely that Brownback'll lose to Sebelius? No. But it's important to remember that Sebelius is an effective campaigner who'll have a good political machine (see, have raised a ton of money) by the time the next election rolls around.

On the whole "too many controversial votes" bit: Brownback will have been in the Senate for 10 years by the time that the next election for Governor happens. Two more years of votes in the Senate (including one year that he'll spend almot exclusively in Iowa and New Hampshire) isn't going to do anything more to his record. The votes that could/should/would really haunt him have already happened.

Conclusion: Brownback has nothing to gain by running for governor. He's a smart politican, and if I can figure this out, so can he.

This is all going to come out disjointed, but...

A lot of shit can go down in just two years in the Senate. Case in point: Two years ago, we had been in Iraq for only two months. Then along comes John "I voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it" Kerry--and Bush used that vote to make Kerry look like a fool. Brownback may yet screw himself with a bad vote here and there.

I agree that an appointment by Sebelius would make the would-be Democratic Senator a much more powerful opponent, but look at Missouri--they voted down Jean Carnahan, an appointed Senator, in two years, and Missouri as a whole is more liberal than Kansas. If it can be done in Missouri, it can be done in Kansas, and it is probably easier to do so.

Finally, let's not kid ourselves--the reason we are blessed with a Democratic governor in the first place is because of mass defections by the moderate Republicans in Kansas because Tim Shallenburger was simply too conservative for them. Those same moderate Republicans are often faithful Brownback supporters as well, despite the similarity of Shallenburger's and Brownback's politics. PR-wise, Brownback is an infinitely better campaigner. All Shallenburger did was piss people off. All Brownback did was piss off bleeding heart liberals like myself. And he can easily lose that constituency and still walk into the Governor's Mansion on election day.

I do not think that if Brownback decided to run for Governor, he'd be the absolute favorite...but it would be an incredibly close race--too close for comfort.

I would just like to say how crude it was for those "certain" guys to comment on womyn's rights. I honestly never had much negative things to say...but today I do. Womyn fought hard to gain the right to vote, and there are some of us..who hold that right dear and WE KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT POLITICS!!! keep that in mind. Another thing...in case you haven't realized the recent population charts, Womyn still out number Men in this world. I have nothing against men..except the ones who think their better than womyn.

I would just like to say how crude it was for those "certain" guys to comment on womyn's rights. I honestly never had much negative things to say...but today I do. Womyn fought hard to gain the right to vote, and there are some of us..who hold that right dear and WE KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT POLITICS!!! keep that in mind. Another thing...in case you haven't realized the recent population charts, Womyn still out number Men in this world. I have nothing against men..except the ones who think their better than womyn.

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Oh, and if you take anything that Cooper or Greenwald say seriously, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

And by the way...in that particular context, it's "they're" and not "their." Thought you might like to know, even though it's a man who is correcting your grammar. :rolleyes:

Steve...Their has been really good information comming from the Brownback office that he is going to run....I understand your a smart guy and all but maybe the Brownback office is not and they are going to run for the govenor spot....This wasn't a prediction, it was information comming from Brownback.