Sign in to follow this  
fireborn

First Speaker

OK, I've debated before, and I love debate, but right now I'm scared as hell. See, I have a week till my first tournament and my partner decided to be a jerk. He wants me to switch to first speaker. :eek:

I'll admit it, I'm scared, I've ALWAYS been second. I guess what actually scares me is the first Negative and the first Affirmative rebuttle. :sob:

So if anyone has ANY advice please get back to me, I have a week to totally change my style.

1nr is the easiest speech to possibly give. You just respond to arguments of the 2ac that the 2nc didn't get to. You should know that already ...

1ar - strategize what positions you want to go for in the 2ar. Then, on those issues, one process: group and cross-apply, group and cross-apply. Insert further analysis only when absolutely necessary and if you have enough time to do so.

(Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's still the basic idea.)

• Upvote 1

Yes...in the 1AR you should work off the structure in which your partner read arguments in the 2AC. After you extend them you can spend a little time answering back negative arguments (obviously more if the negative reads a new position or deploys independent voting issues during the block) but don't get sidetracked on things that the negative said - you'll run out of time and not be able to cover everything.

As for the 1NR, it is really an amazingly easy speech. One of the reasons for this is that you have tons of time to prepare - all of the CX of the 2AC, all your partner's 2NC, and the CX of that speech. The biggest problem with 1NR speeches is that the 2NC will take too many arguments, leaving the 1NR to reiterate what has already been said - not very productive! The 1NR can't make new arguments, so delegate offcase and oncase positions accordingly and well in advance. Though this isn't essential, if you run topicality it is general practice for the 1NR to take it because they can prep out for it and no new arguments are usually made.

2NC arguements is primarily a god opportunity for analyticals, and plus the 2NC is more difficult because they have to cover every single aff advantage made.

• Downvote 1

2NC arguements is primarily a god opportunity for analyticals, and plus the 2NC is more difficult because they have to cover every single aff advantage made.

There is no reason the 2nc is better for making analytics than any other speech and I don't get what you're trying to say about answering aff advantages. Do you mean offense they made in the 2ac? Then the 1NR can do that too...