OwenK

Open Mindedness K

How would someone go about finding/writing a K about how the aff team isn't open-minded enough?

The first thing I would do is find a great article.  It sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm serious.  Many Kritiks have literally one article or one author that the entire thing is based around.  Find something or someone that says why openmindedness is vital, and why voting for it in the round will create real-world change.

If you can find that information, then that's a start.   And a really good start at that.  Cut the cards and make a file, then try to make some answers for later speeches and you should be good to go.

Writing a K is probably one of the most difficult things you can attempt in debate, so good luck!

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, JSamuel said:

The first thing I would do is find a great article.  It sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm serious.  Many Kritiks have literally one article or one author that the entire thing is based around.  Find something or someone that says why openmindedness is vital, and why voting for it in the round will create real-world change.

If you can find that information, then that's a start.   And a really good start at that.  Cut the cards and make a file, then try to make some answers for later speeches and you should be good to go.

Writing a K is probably one of the most difficult things you can attempt in debate, so good luck!

I agree 100%. One author I think talks about openmmindedness is Georges Bataille. Jesuit runs this K a lot. You should look at their wiki

• Upvote 1

ugh. i know we used to run an arg about prescriptive reasoning being a form of violence, but i can't remember the primary author. if it sounds like something you're interested in, shoot me a dm and i can check the backfiles when i'm on my home 'puter.

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, jmc_va said:

ugh. i know we used to run an arg about prescriptive reasoning being a form of violence, but i can't remember the primary author. if it sounds like something you're interested in, shoot me a dm and i can check the backfiles when i'm on my home 'puter.

How on earth could prescriptive reasoning be a form of violence and, more to the point, how do you ask for a neg vote without biting the link?

6 hours ago, Snarf said:

How on earth could prescriptive reasoning be a form of violence and, more to the point, how do you ask for a neg vote without biting the link?

Derrida makes an argument that prescribing action universalizes a particular ethic, violently overriding others, and ofc advocates for deconstruction. tbh I know I butchered explaining that, am tired.

Separately, the COMPLEXITY K. And K's of prescriptive reasoning are built into a lot of security K link modules. And legal K's often have those modules to them. The exact arg depends on the K.

15 hours ago, Snarf said:

it was something in the vein of elimination of counter-narratives being an essential part of the otherization / exclusion /  etc. cycle. whether you bite it or not is more a question of the alt than the link story: affs exclude. negs open up space for multiple narratives. vote for the better world.

or something. it's been 5 or 6 years since i've looked at the argument and i am in full vacation mode right now.

I know Wilderson makes this argument as a popular afropesssimism alternative, though instead of calling it open-mindedness he called it Unflinching Paradigmatic Analysis. Check Coppell's wiki for cites (I know they run it often).