theninjamonkey

Militarism K Ground

Hey all,

what's a good way to frame the militarism k on the neg against a soft-left aff? i'm somewhat cautious about criticizing them for still being militarists even though they reduce, because I really don't want to argue the  merits of pragmatism every round. 

Look up some literature that's critical of humanitarian arms sales. There's a lot of people out there who claim that humanitarianism is really just a guise for extending and justifying militarism. For example -- by reducing arms sales in one area, they're implying that arms sales in other areas are okay, or legitimizing other arms sales because they've "solved" militaristic arms transfers. They'll say no link because they're a negative state action, but the K itself. There's a link to militarism for pretty much every policy aff on this topic if you look hard enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Could do something like militarist racism, kinda like nuclear racism. The idea that certain groups of people shouldn't have weapons because they "can't use them like us white folk" or something along those lines. Not trying to say that guns are good for those groups, just the idea that gun control or whatever can be racially charged and target minorities. I'm not super familiar with it, heard it from someone else like two years ago, but its a start. Also, like what brodrillard says, most post modern authors are critical of leftists in the sense that they act as if they're doing the morally just action, but really it works to expand their own power. You could also just say that the aff doesn't go far enough to solve the problem of militarism because they aren't actually decreasing military presence or action, just sales. There's plenty of stuff that says doing any government action with the structure of militarism still intact is a tacit endorsement of the militarist system. Soft-left affs like to play with idea of fiat = reality a lot, so it really trips them up when you say they aren't actually doing anything. Breaking the illusion of fiat is usually step 1 in a K for me. That's all I got.

Edited by jaceg
  • Upvote 2