PrincessAisha

Trying to write my own aff

So I'm looking to write my own aff because I found the camp produced affs to be basic. I'm thinking about writing a K aff about war being an industry (kind of like cap) with the alt being ending all arm sales globally therefore deconstructing war as an industry. I get that it won't be topical since the USFG won't be able make other countries end their arm sales but I might have the governments of the major players in the arms industry work together. I know I'll run into international fiat bad and extra T but I think I'll be prepared for those. Is this a good idea or should I try something else?

Make it topical. DCS and FMS compose all of US arms sales. Say ban all DCS and FMS, be ready to defend that "substantially reduce = eliminate." Target your offense on US militarism being bad with impacts about US militarism being specifically bad (so fill-in arguments don't thump your impact) AND that US arms sales fuels global militarism (get that internal link to solving global arms sales ready). You're way more likely to lose to "US should ban all arms sales" as a topical version on a T debate than you are to lose to a "other countries fill in" or generic topic DA. Biggest threat is actually just PICs more so than nit picky solvency arguments or common DAs you can prep the hell out of, so be ready on a) ending ALL arms sales necessary to solve the aff and b) PICs bad theory. Best way to prep for PICs is to check out DAs from the camps and on the eventual caselist to see what country-specific or equipment-specific DAs exist and then try to have an impact turn debate/k of impact debate ready to go.

OK, so if I change the plan to ban all DCS and FMS and have cards on US militarism being bad with heavy impacts as well as credible sources (all that stuff). What off do you think I'm looking at as far as Ks and Cps? (Besides all the basic ones because the plan would link HARD to all of them)

It doesn't really matter what the K is if it's remotely topic related, you'll have the same perm argument that you eliminate a core facet of how the US exports militarism globally, obvi would be in conjunction with the alt. The big question is if you can hit home the solvency arg that state actions are needed to change violent policies like arms sales. 

Most dangerous kind of cp is like what I said, pics. Besides that, people will fall back to agent CPs with politics or whatever. Process CPs are other generics to watch out for.

You'll link to pretty much every DA. That's fine. Your game plan against DAs with this kind of aff is to win on the impact framing debate, win aff impacts turn DA impacts, and critique the DA impact. The uniqueness/link portion of the DA is less important. 

I think an argument to look out for is "other countries fill in." Big thing here is that you should have US arms sales bad specifically, like maybe we use arms sales to leverage a dangerous agenda, US arms cause x impacts, whatever. The next thing you should try to have is a global spillover solvency argument. Maybe a US ban increases credibility of anti arms sales agreements, or gives US leverage to countries that relied on US arms. 

One thing to look forward to is if someone decides to jump right into arms sales key to heg. Have that impact turn debate prepped tf out. Your aff gets there but this is a great place for a 2ac dump. You want to force that to be the neg block and maybe 2nr option because of the offense you can garner off of it.

Everything you've given me is really helpful, thanks! Now, I'm looking into cards. Do you know any authors that talk about the imperialist/capitalist qualities of US arm sales? So far I've only found two.

tbh I don't. Haven't dealt with an arms sales topic before. Chances are you can find a lot of those cards in camp files, especially in K answers or framework files in the TVA sections. I recommend doing your own research before waiting on camp stuff to fully come out. Best way to look at those files is to fill gaps in your files, not to rely on them. With personal research, you'll learn more about the topic and how you want to debate it, you'll know your aff better, and you're more likely to find something unique to include in your aff. 

If you want evidence about militarism and military policy, you should look at the college 14-15 caselist for the military topic. BUT (big but), this is most useful for generics for like answering K's and impact work. Specific always > generics. 

While I'm thinking about it, a note on writing the 1ac. As you find more, especially as camp files come out and there's bound to be at least one or two ban arms sales affs, you'll be inclined to include as many diverse arguments as possible in the 1ac. Don't. Keep it simple. US militarism impact (aim for structural violence-esque impacts to let you get more clash against util DA impacts), global spillover argument, then broader militarism impact, and militarism root cause of war, solvency mech, and something that's useful to add on to structural violence plan text affs is a discourse-based argument about taking stances against militarism or something. Framing the round outside of the plan gives you some more leverage against DA impacts by refocusing the impact debate to in-round representations before substantive impacts. 

Update:

I started writing the aff, started it with a card about how the horrors of arm sales are overlooked and the main benefits of arm sales are extension of US power (hegemony), economic benefits (capitalism), and enhancement of military capabilities (imperialism/militarism). I extend in a few branches why each of them are caused by arm sales and why each of them are bad. I'm looking into solvency cards and a framework. I've never run a K aff before so I hope I'm doing it right.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:13 PM, PrincessAisha said:

Update:

I started writing the aff, started it with a card about how the horrors of arm sales are overlooked and the main benefits of arm sales are extension of US power (hegemony), economic benefits (capitalism), and enhancement of military capabilities (imperialism/militarism). I extend in a few branches why each of them are caused by arm sales and why each of them are bad. I'm looking into solvency cards and a framework. I've never run a K aff before so I hope I'm doing it right.

You can email it to me (if you want) and I could go over it!