HeWasADb8rBoi

Uncontrollable Microaggression

So this is kinda stupid, but hear me out. I have a Muscular Tic Disorder. It's similar to Tourette's Syndrome, but I don't have a verbal tic. So the tics, which are uncontrollable muscle movements, can happen anytime, anywhere. I, unfortunately, sometimes tic in a way that my arm and neck make a movement similar to how people make fun of mentally handicapped people. So what happens if I do it in round? Do I just say, "uh, sorry, I have a tic disorder"? How believable is that? It doesn't help that im a white guy, the usual suspect for any racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism, etc. So what should I do in the event I tic and the opposing team runs reps K or something along those lines?

Depending on how frequent or infrequent, I would recommend making it a habit to mention it before the round starts.  That way it’s a nonissue (most likely).  Posting it on your wiki page is also something I’ve seen debaters do with medical conditions that can be relevant to a round. Worst case scenario if you have anything medically official to “produce” you would have hard defense/offensive turn on a reps k.

• Upvote 2

You'll be fine, if it worries you you can just tell the judge before the round. They will be understanding. Or you could go the fun route,  'microaggressions don't exist'. I have cards if you want them lol. 

• Upvote 1