Sign in to follow this  
doublebind

How do I convince my parents to let me go to camp?

So my coach has made it clear that I will not be traveling next year if I do not attend some sort of camp. For some reason, my parents do not want to let me go to camp. I really need to travel next year, and this is really pushing me behind the rest of the debaters on my circuit. Do you guys have any tips on how I could get my parents to sign me up? It's getting later in the year, and a lot of camps are closing enrollment options and I really don't want to miss out on the chance of attending camp just because my parents think it's not a good idea. For more info: I would like to attend UTNIF with my partner, but the UTD camp could also be an option.

Also, does anyone know when registration for session 2 for UTNIF and the general policy enrollment at UTD will close? (hoping it hasn't already closed 😕)

Thanks!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, doublebind said:

So my coach has made it clear that I will not be traveling next year if I do not attend some sort of camp. For some reason, my parents do not want to let me go to camp. I really need to travel next year, and this is really pushing me behind the rest of the debaters on my circuit. Do you guys have any tips on how I could get my parents to sign me up? It's getting later in the year, and a lot of camps are closing enrollment options and I really don't want to miss out on the chance of attending camp just because my parents think it's not a good idea. For more info: I would like to attend UTNIF with my partner, but the UTD camp could also be an option.

Also, does anyone know when registration for session 2 for UTNIF and the general policy enrollment at UTD will close? (hoping it hasn't already closed 😕)

Thanks!

UTNIF is still open. UTD is about to close. As for your parents make it clear what your coach has said and make your coach tell them the implications. Try to agree to a deal with your parents, (i will pay xxx if you pay xxx). If nothing else, make sure they know the implications and what it means to you. If your parents do not agree, try to find a closer camp or less expensive? If your parents dont let you, they dont let you. Hope for the best!

• Like 1

If your parents are still a hard no, ask your coach if it would be acceptable if you got direct instruction from someone with college coaching experience throughout the summer. I'd be happy to help and try to rally a couple of people to pitch in.

While a) it would be virtual, b) you wouldn't really be able to do practice debates (unless we could specially arrange something), and c) not be constantly engaged (I work and have kids, so definitely some lag in response/aid outside of video chat practice speeches), it's worth noting that almost no one at the collegiate level does camp and somehow many manage to have big gains in skill over the summer doing functionally what I'm offering (meaning cutting cards with oversight+direction, doing practice speeches/drills, watching debates/lectures online and discussing them with someone, and talking/thinking about debate generally.).

Sidenote: kind of crappy and elitist that you HAVE to spend a big chunk of money over the summer in order to travel. That's pretty unfair and why I'm offering. 

Sidenote #2: I'm not asking for money, seems like a just cause. Also why I can't offer to be fully engaged. 

Sidenote #3: This past season was my third season coaching college. Not way out of the activity or anything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 6:48 PM, OGRawrcat said:

If your parents are still a hard no, ask your coach if it would be acceptable if you got direct instruction from someone with college coaching experience throughout the summer. I'd be happy to help and try to rally a couple of people to pitch in.

While a) it would be virtual, b) you wouldn't really be able to do practice debates (unless we could specially arrange something), and c) not be constantly engaged (I work and have kids, so definitely some lag in response/aid outside of video chat practice speeches), it's worth noting that almost no one at the collegiate level does camp and somehow many manage to have big gains in skill over the summer doing functionally what I'm offering (meaning cutting cards with oversight+direction, doing practice speeches/drills, watching debates/lectures online and discussing them with someone, and talking/thinking about debate generally.).

Sidenote: kind of crappy and elitist that you HAVE to spend a big chunk of money over the summer in order to travel. That's pretty unfair and why I'm offering. 

Sidenote #2: I'm not asking for money, seems like a just cause. Also why I can't offer to be fully engaged. 

Sidenote #3: This past season was my third season coaching college. Not way out of the activity or anything.

You are AWESOME!

• Like 1