My team is doing a big questions tournament for the NSDA grant. The resolution is "Humans are primarily driven by self-interest." I don't typically debate big questions, although I have in the past. I'm curious about what non-typical aff and neg arguments there are? It seems to me that the debate will ultimately be the neg providing examples of good deeds and the aff saying everything is psychologically about self interest. Are there any other ways/ contentions to make the debate interesting?

Edited by emmaloeber

On 3/11/2019 at 3:49 PM, emmaloeber said:

My team is doing a big questions tournament for the NSDA grant. The resolution is "Humans are primarily driven by self-interest." I don't typically debate big questions, although I have in the past. I'm curious about what non-typical aff and neg arguments there are? It seems to me that the debate will ultimately be the neg providing examples of good deeds and the aff saying everything is psychologically about self interest. Are there any other ways/ contentions to make the debate interesting?

Lacan / Freud's models of the Psyche would be really good neg arguments for this topic!!

• Upvote 1

I was almost roped into judging a round on this at the last tournament I judged, and I was thinking it'd be fun to see a team argue motivations are non-ordinal.

Edited by CanIGetAFavor