OwenK

Can someone help me with this?

1. anyone know why my posts need to be approved by a moderator and if/when they will

2. are there any active motderators on this site 

3. How can I become a moderator

1. There's a word filter that hides slurs and f-bombs until they are reviewed. It's an easy way to keep flame wars from getting out of hand. Your post was caught because of the username you quoted (which will be dealt with separately). I just approved your post, and I run through the queue fairly frequently.

2. There are technically a few users with moderator privileges, but it's mostly me.

3. In the past, mods were chosen through elections. I'm undecided if/when elections will happen again, but proving yourself as a trustworthy person who won't abuse the mod powers can also lead to earning the role.

Hot take:

1 hour ago, David said:

2. There are technically a few users with moderator privileges, but it's mostly me.

What good are mod privileges if no one is around to use them? The biggest instance that I can think of was the M*nhood Ac*demy flaming of 2017ish(?). This consisted of one or more users, including me, repeatedly messaging @Snarf to ban the accounts the troll was creating. I suggested an IP ban to prevent the creation of more accounts, to which I am told that only David could issue such ban.

1 hour ago, David said:

3. In the past, mods were chosen through elections. I'm undecided if/when elections will happen again, but proving yourself as a trustworthy person who won't abuse the mod powers can also lead to earning the role.

This site needs more mods. The few mods we have left aren't always the most active (heck, even Snarf's last visit was in November), which is understandable. After doing this for so many years, in a site with such little attention paid to it, I would probably start to slow down on it too. The majority of people I would like to see have a mod role have already left the site, and given the number of active users here, there isn't much to pick from anyway.

You're right, with fewer active users there are fewer people to be a mod, and fewer opportunities to use those mod powers to handle big spam raids. That's what makes me uncertain of new mod elections, there has to be a reasonable candidate pool. It's more likely that I eventually appoint a super moderator like the site has had in the past.

Mods can IP ban but it's not explicitly called that, it's part of the warning system. IIRC, in that specific incident the person ended up posting from multiple IPs.

14 hours ago, David said:

You're right, with fewer active users there are fewer people to be a mod, and fewer opportunities to use those mod powers to handle big spam raids. That's what makes me uncertain of new mod elections, there has to be a reasonable candidate pool. It's more likely that I eventually appoint a super moderator like the site has had in the past.

Mods can IP ban but it's not explicitly called that, it's part of the warning system. IIRC, in that specific incident the person ended up posting from multiple IPs.

why dont you make more people mods?