kyunimi

How can I improve?

I started debating summer of 2018 and I only participated in one rookie and novice debate. However, due to the lack of varsity debaters on our school team and my current (and far more experienced) varsity partner's wishes of going to NAUDL, I was moved up to varsity off of 2 official debate league tournaments and one JV summer camp tournament. In December, I went to our debate league's fall championship, and I felt utterly useless because I didn't know how to properly flow, spread, understand spreading, do analytics, or answer cross x questions. I just kind of felt like dead weight for my partner -- I was only there to read cards so that she could prep during my speeches. My rebuttals were also utter garbage and at one point I needed my partner to type what I had to say on a google doc.

How can I improve? I really want to do better but I don't even know how to spread or terms related to different AFFs. I'd really appreciate as much help as I can get, thank you!

• Upvote 1

I totally feel you. I was in your boat at one point too. As far as spreading goes, start by focusing on quality instead of quantity, and practice reading aloud for 30 min a day. Do the pen drill, work on speed and you will get better. In regards to jargon and flowing, I reccomend the Go Fight Win youtube series. It is a comprehensive guide to policy debate and will cover all of the fundamentals of CX debate. Additionally, if you are using open evidence, stop now. Start cutting your own cases. This will give you better cases and will help you to better understand the concepts you are debating. Practice debates are also great. If you have any questions email me at mpy2019@gmail.com. id be happy to help you with debate and if your partner is down, my partner and I would be happy to do practice debates with yall on discord.

Edited by MattYee
  • Like 2

This is annoying to hear but your best bet is to practice! Practice giving speeches, practice flowing debates, practice by redoing your speeches, or even you can practice on the V-Debates here. None of these are gonna radically transform you but they'll slowly get you more comfortable with the process of debating which is really the most important thing. If you have a team that can do practice debates then always try that! If not then go onto the wiki and look for 1nc's people have read against your aff and give a 2ac in response to that! If you want to practice efficiency then try and give that 2ac with less time than you normally would.  

For flowing debates, you can find both college and high school rounds on youtube. I would suggest trying to make a decision before listening to the judges RFD because it makes you put yourself in the judges position which is super helpful in terms of judge adaption and giving rebuttals.

Lastly do research! It will help immensely if you've read the source material (Whether it be the philosophy books or the politics cards) because you'll feel way more comfortable explaining the argument when you understand the context of the cards you're reading from!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattYee said:

I totally feel you. I was in your boat at one point too. As far as spreading goes, start by focusing on quality instead of quantity, and practice reading aloud for 30 min a day. Do the pen drill, work on speed and you will get better. In regards to jargon and flowing, I reccomend the Go Fight Win youtube series. It is a comprehensive guide to policy debate and will cover all of the fundamentals of CX debate. Additionally, if you are using open evidence, stop now. Start cutting your own cases. This will give you better cases and will help you to better understand the concepts you are debating. Practice debates are also great. If you have any questions email me at mpy2019@gmail.com. id be happy to help you with debate and if your partner is down, my partner and I would be happy to do practice debates with yall on discord.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer sometime :))

Also, thanks for recommending Go Fight Win! In just the first video I learned a ton about impact calculus, which I had no idea about until now. It helped a lot!

11 minutes ago, MrEragonSaph said:

This is annoying to hear but your best bet is to practice! Practice giving speeches, practice flowing debates, practice by redoing your speeches, or even you can practice on the V-Debates here. None of these are gonna radically transform you but they'll slowly get you more comfortable with the process of debating which is really the most important thing. If you have a team that can do practice debates then always try that! If not then go onto the wiki and look for 1nc's people have read against your aff and give a 2ac in response to that! If you want to practice efficiency then try and give that 2ac with less time than you normally would.  

For flowing debates, you can find both college and high school rounds on youtube. I would suggest trying to make a decision before listening to the judges RFD because it makes you put yourself in the judges position which is super helpful in terms of judge adaption and giving rebuttals.

Lastly do research! It will help immensely if you've read the source material (Whether it be the philosophy books or the politics cards) because you'll feel way more comfortable explaining the argument when you understand the context of the cards you're reading from!

Thanks! I'll look into that! I think one of my biggest issues during the fall champs was that I didn't understand my cards, so I'll be working on that a whole lot more!

I think that if you didn't know your cards, break the argument into the points of U/q, link. and impact and learn each section and card that you have there. If you can stick to a few DAs and 1 Aff you can learn them well and if you know it well enough than most won't beat you on it. Look at what people have read against your aff and learn their arguments so that you know them better than they do. If you stick to your basics and do some practice debates/tournaments, you will get better.