Give it up for day 25 of the government shutdown...

There is an important meet coming up this weekend, and I do not want to lose any rounds due to the shutdown. I know the government shutdown is just a partial shutdown, but does that still affect the areas dealing with immigration? In the beginning days of the shutdown, I ran a sort of made up DA saying that without government funding, no plan is able to pass. It worked for the round, but is that statement true?

Thanks in advance...

Fiat is a question of should not would, so the argument doesn't really make sense the way you're running it. It also doesn't make sense because Congress can still pass bills during the shutdown. Apparently, immigrants can still file petitions for LPR etc. during the shutdown, so people can still get in. However, there's a lot of backlog in the immigration courts system because many of them are closed. You could probably spin a solvency deficit out of that against some aff. One other thing about the shutdown that's relevant is that the only political fights right now are about the shutdown and the wall, so any unrelated politics DA makes no sense.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:29 PM, PrideOfLenin said:

Fiat is a question of should not would, so the argument doesn't really make sense the way you're running it. 

I mean, if the aff fiats the plan passing and also fiats funding, you could pretty easily read fiat bad theory. It doesn't take too long to read, and, even if you lose the theory flow, you could still argue that the aff should specify where funding comes from. Worst case scenario, you don't win that flow, but it'd still be a major time skew for the aff. So, unless they argue that its a time skew and that it's bad, reading it prolly still helps you.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, HyperRhizome said:

I mean, if the aff fiats the plan passing and also fiats funding, you could pretty easily read fiat bad theory. It doesn't take too long to read, and, even if you lose the theory flow, you could still argue that the aff should specify where funding comes from. Worst case scenario, you don't win that flow, but it'd still be a major time skew for the aff. So, unless they argue that its a time skew and that it's bad, reading it prolly still helps you.

How does fiat bad theory make sense outside of a kritikal debate? Obviously the USFG isn't immediately going to do the plan just cause someone said they should in a high school debate round. The purpose of topic education is to become informed advocates for the future. The shutdown isn't going to last forever. A good affirmative won't spend too much time on this argument and the time skew will go in favor of the aff.

2 minutes ago, PrideOfLenin said:

How does fiat bad theory make sense outside of a kritikal debate? 

It can be argued in terms that assuming that a plan will happen is bad for education, because, as you noted, things don't work like that in the real world. A debate should be focused on how we can learn the most and what we can best translate into real-world skills. If we continuously debate in the magical political vacuum of fiat, we hurt our ability to effectively learn real world skills. Plus, breadth over depth leads to better topic education and better-informed policies because affirmatives can then add planks and stuff for future rounds. I'm not saying that we shouldn't debate under the shutdown though, that's a pretty bad argument to make tbh.