policyzuccedmysoul

soft lefts on the immigration topic

Hey yall, 

I'm trying to cut better at cutting soft left affirmatives, I know about soft lefts like public charge and asylum seekers but the problem with those is that most competent debaters already know who runs those and what they are, I need help finding super obscure topics to write an aff such as west BN's consular non-reviewability 

So with that being said, Any tips for finding the aforementioned obscure topic literature? 

15 hours ago, policyzuccedmysoul said:

Hey yall, 

I'm trying to cut better at cutting soft left affirmatives, I know about soft lefts like public charge and asylum seekers but the problem with those is that most competent debaters already know who runs those and what they are, I need help finding super obscure topics to write an aff such as west BN's consular non-reviewability 

So with that being said, Any tips for finding the aforementioned obscure topic literature? 

Alternately, you could run one of the more well-known soft-left affs and not try to prevent a debate from occurring.

• Downvote 2

Alternatively, you could realize that soft left affs are viable and not impossible to beat. if they actually stopped a debate from occurring no one would use camp affs like HSI. Unfortunate to see someone from St. Marks make such a lackluster response. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, policyzuccedmysoul said:

west BN's consular non-reviewability 

I say why not just run nonrev since there is a lot of T def against it (especially if you read a Tasoff 16 interp)

If you do want to cut something, I say go through some court cases on grounds of inadmissibility (section 212 of the INA)

• Upvote 1

Oh try Blood Quantum or Leperosy (there's a version with actual plan text)

Blood Quantum is really solid if you get your framing in 

has a good answer to T substantial too

Leperosy is just odd, the plan text version is like some preformative revolutionary fiat

just be ready for that disease da, or afropess links

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, AlistairTheKDebater said:

Oh try Blood Quantum or Leperosy (there's a version with actual plan text)

Blood Quantum is really solid if you get your framing in 

has a good answer to T substantial too

Leperosy is just odd, the plan text version is like some preformative revolutionary fiat

just be ready for that disease da, or afropess links

What is the point of the Leprosy aff? I don't understand

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kasn113 said:

What is the point of the Leprosy aff? I don't understand

Something about leperosy being both metaphorically and literally excluded from the Metropolis, it's somewhat based in pyschoanalyisis apparently

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AlistairTheKDebater said:

Something about leperosy being both metaphorically and literally excluded from the Metropolis, it's somewhat based in pyschoanalyisis apparently

Figures... I'm in Indiana, and judges will literally down vote any aff like that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kasn113 said:

Figures... I'm in Indiana, and judges will literally down vote any aff like that.

yeah it's barely a soft left, closer to a full on K

Blood Quantum, however is very solid

• Upvote 2

There are a lot of good soft affs out there like public charge, blood quantum’s, and trafficking.  Again with these affs framing, vagueness, and circumvention will be the biggest issues.  

However, I saw somewhere some articles about American Samoa.  There was a racist court ruling on immigration and it pretty sure there is enough on it that you can find a good solvency advocate and contention cards.  Don’t try to be too obscure with these soft left affs though or there won’t be a debate like previously mentioned.

Edited by southbaysoccer13
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, debategirl52 said:

Where is the Leprosy AFF with a plan text?

please don't read this. It's just a way to get out of framework but its probably not that topical and it makes it much easier for you to lose to Ks while policy people get more to run against you besides from framework.

1 hour ago, XrossEcramination said:

please don't read this. It's just a way to get out of framework but its probably not that topical and it makes it much easier for you to lose to Ks while policy people get more to run against you besides from framework.

it is pretty topical

the whole aff is honestly pretty solid

however if you don't have a firm grasp on the aff, don't run it

20 hours ago, debategirl52 said:

Where is the Leprosy AFF with a plan text?

in the attached file under 1ac preformative revoultionary fiat

you'll need to cut some cards on the pfr

apparently some are already cut, but im not sure where to find them

Leprosy K - Full File - Wake 2018.docx