QuigleyD

Theory ---> Methodological Pluralism

So I run neg against a local team and they always run the perm - methodological pluralism. 

The specific tag is "Perm – methodological pluralism combines multiple schools of thought to reclaim IR as emancipatory praxis and avoid endless political violence."

How do you answer this? Can you say they sever out of advocating for their own plan text? I specifically ran cap and security k against this team, both times losing on this perm. 

Anything will help!! :)

On 12/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, QuigleyD said:

So I run neg against a local team and they always run the perm - methodological pluralism. 

The specific tag is "Perm – methodological pluralism combines multiple schools of thought to reclaim IR as emancipatory praxis and avoid endless political violence."

How do you answer this? Can you say they sever out of advocating for their own plan text? I specifically ran cap and security k against this team, both times losing on this perm. 

Anything will help!! :)

Actually, I don't think this perm severs out of the plan text. It seems like they're just not ruling out your method for looking at the world while still doing the plan text. First, you have to win plan focus bad. Debate is an educational game, so letting teams sever out of their research is bad because it's not educational. There are also cards for many K's that say analyzing cap/security/whatever is a prerequisite to understanding policy action, so the K should come before the fiat of the plan. Second, turn methodological pluralism. It basically just says that we shouldn't rule out different ways of looking at the world. Refusing to rule out capitalist/securitized methods of analyzing policy allows those policies to continue to dominate the political sphere. You can't combine liberal order key to solve nuclear war and anti-capitalist discourse, so the perm is basically to be indecisive. That's also a bad model of debate because it's the judge's job to decide which school of thought was better defended. The perm actually makes no sense in the context of debate because methodological pluralism is about conducting studies, not making policy decisions.