Avery

Queer Fem K

This coming year, my partner and I would like to try something new. We would like to run a K aff or just a K. We would like it to be not only, queer but also fem. If this is a possibility what authors should we read into. We both really like Butler.  If you all have any arguments or Article/ books that I should look into please let me know. Feel free to email of message me

Thank you so much

Avery

I'm not a super huge fan of Butler. I suggest you read "No Future: Queer Theory and the Death Drive" by Lee Edelman. Lacanian queer theory is a lot harder to answer back than nth wave feminism. Edelman's futurity stuff kills almost all DA / solvency warrant ground, so it can be an excellent tool, Aff or Neg, if run correctly. Shoot me a DM if you have questions.

4 hours ago, jmc_va said:

I'm not a super huge fan of Butler. I suggest you read "No Future: Queer Theory and the Death Drive" by Lee Edelman. Lacanian queer theory is a lot harder to answer back than nth wave feminism. Edelman's futurity stuff kills almost all DA / solvency warrant ground, so it can be an excellent tool, Aff or Neg, if run correctly. Shoot me a DM if you have questions.

Doesn't Edelman's definition of queer not include trans and bi people?

bædan is amazing, but maybe not the best entry point. edelman is a super easy and enjoyable read and gives you a good understanding of mirror stage ego malformation.

7 hours ago, jmc_va said:

natalism is also something to look into for any queer intersectionality

35 minutes ago, jmc_va said:

bædan is amazing, but maybe not the best entry point. edelman is a super easy and enjoyable read and gives you a good understanding of mirror stage ego malformation.

yea, i like it more mainly because im biased

im a bit of an anarchist, if you couldn't tell by my sig

Regardless of which author is "better" or more accessible in general, you should probably think about what's literally relevant to the topic (i.e. has links). I'm not aware of any extensive writings by Butler about immigration that are also "queer theory" proper. Edelman is typically a strong K on any topic because it lets you more or less impact turn extinction scenarios, similar situation with baedan. That said, I'm still not sure there's any topic links that would help make an aff in that ballpark. I'm inclined to think that the strongest queer K this year is Puar-style homonationalism or possibly queer toxicity. Read Terrorist Assemblages for Puar.

11 minutes ago, musicotic said:

Edelman is essentially transphobic & biphobic, so never run that. 

It's hardly straightforward enough that you should just never run Edelman. There's a reasonably strong argument to be made that he's describing the symbolic figure of the queer in civil society, not queer people as such. It's a debate to be had.

14 hours ago, seanarchy said:

It's hardly straightforward enough that you should just never run Edelman. There's a reasonably strong argument to be made that he's describing the symbolic figure of the queer in civil society, not queer people as such. It's a debate to be had.

Exactly. Edelman talks about the queer as the representation of a process in the same way he talks about the child as a symbol for a process.

And while I agree there's no obvious path from this topic to an exclusively-QT Aff, there's a huge case to be made (excuse the pun) for Lacanian political theory this year. I mean, the whole ego malformation in the mirror stage leading to otherization / threat construction / exclusion clearly overlaps with the topic area. Edelman starts in the same place and any solvency mechanism that addresses one (over-identification, maybe) probably addresses both. I think a Lacanian QT advantage is super workable within that case framework, whether Edelman or bædan. I find Edelman easier to deploy because there's no anarchic baggage to deal with. But, if used properly, either would allow you to preemptively take out impact-based decision calculus. While the rest of case (the geopolitical ego formation stuff) would allow you to preempt "real world" link stories.