KalmKenzie

Parent Judges

I recently went to a debate tournament with my partner and got 0/2 wins. The first Judge was understandable, however, the second Judge wasn't. It was a new Judge filling in, I assumed it was a Parent Judge. My opponents ran two off cases and dropped both throughout the Neg Block. Although my partner and I pointed that out to the Judge and articulated to the Judge why blah blah is good and blah blah is bad, we still lost. Can you help me understand the mindset of Judges to allow me not to make the same mistakes again? Thank you!

I don't know about your second question, but for the first one, what me and my partner usually do is use rhetoric like "don't let them get away with that" or honestly you could just incite automatic win as the judge is not very informed on policy debate. You could say that you automatically win because they dropped the arguments but also go in depth on why, in your specific case, its important that the judge votes for the off as they have a flawless plan, since the neg conceded and failed to present their disadvantages on their last speech. Best of luck and I hope I was of help!

12 hours ago, KalmKenzie said:

Also, can someone tell me how to change my placing, I'm not in Novice

Its based on interaction on this site, post more 

23 hours ago, KalmKenzie said:

as understandable, however, the second Judge wasn't. It was a new Judge filling in, I assumed it was a Parent Judge. My opponents ran two off cases and dropped both throughout the Neg Block. Although my partner and I pointed that out to the Judge and articulated to the Judge why blah blah is good and blah blah is bad, we still lost. Can you hel

Yeah, my partner and I were on the Neg and they dropped 2 of our off cases with one of them having turns to both their case advantages and I spent 3 minutes explaining how if the arg is dropped then it is, in fact, the truth in the debate and then the judge voted for them saying: "I like how the other team answered your CX questions". 

So now my partner and I have decided that we will just treat these judges as people who don't know the rules or anything and just go for their personal biases. I guess this could help.

29 minutes ago, KDebater23 said:

Yeah, my partner and I were on the Neg and they dropped 2 of our off cases with one of them having turns to both their case advantages and I spent 3 minutes explaining how if the arg is dropped then it is, in fact, the truth in the debate and then the judge voted for them saying: "I like how the other team answered your CX questions". 

So now my partner and I have decided that we will just treat these judges as people who don't know the rules or anything and just go for their personal biases. I guess this could help.

The same thing happened to me actually, same judge. Sometimes your judges just suck. Straight up. I'm not going to lie. In the realm of policy debate sometimes you are going to get a bad judge and lose. Certain judges won't flow, some won't even pay attention, you just have to deal with it. It sucks, but you just gotta deal with it. The thing about inexperienced judges is that you have to slow down and explain your arguments much better. Don't let the judge miss a single argument. Make sure the judge catches every single argument. Also yeah, maybe attempt to lean towards their biases. 

10 hours ago, ghostlynebula said:

The same thing happened to me actually, same judge. Sometimes your judges just suck. Straight up. I'm not going to lie. In the realm of policy debate sometimes you are going to get a bad judge and lose. Certain judges won't flow, some won't even pay attention, you just have to deal with it. It sucks, but you just gotta deal with it. The thing about inexperienced judges is that you have to slow down and explain your arguments much better. Don't let the judge miss a single argument. Make sure the judge catches every single argument. Also yeah, maybe attempt to lean towards their biases. 

Yeah, my partner reads fast so I'll communicate that with him. Thanks alot!

16 hours ago, ghostlynebula said:

yeah the problem with this judge that I had, he didn't care about the arguments because he thought they were stupid from his own life experiences and voted because the other team sounded good at cx. The thing is that once you get up to jv or varsity you can strike judges on tabroom so that is what im looking forward to.