Noble

Do you use cards in rebuttals?

Okay so first of all I'm writing this under the assumption that this is a team policy debate  site so if I'm wrong about that, my bad 😂

So my main question is; do I need cards in my rebuttal speeches? The debates I've seen typically use logical reasoning to attack the opposing team and occasionally reference evidence mentioned in the 1st and 2nd constructions, but our debate teacher said we needed to prove our point 4 times, so I'm just confused. If you want to go the extra mile you could write a brief outline of exactly what you would talk about in a 1NR (or any rebuttal its not important which one.) Anyway thank you for your time.

Whether you use cards in your rebuttals is heavily dependent on what style of debate you do and what arguments you are extending into your late rebuttals. New cards in the 1NR and 1AR is definitely fine, but new 2NR and 2AR cards definitely aren't. You might read a lot of cards in your 1NR if you're doing taking something like a DA where you just need a wall of evidence to weigh against theirs, but you'll probably use much fewer evidence if you're taking something more analytical, like a K. You don't need to prove your point 4 times, you just need to extend arguments that you want to go for throughout all your speeches and build on them so that they aren't new in the final rebuttals.

1NR-Depends heavily on what arguments you're taking, but usually pretty similar in style to a 2NC, so it can definitely read cards and make some new arguments. Make sure you cover every part of the argument you're extending and do line by line and you should be fine. A lot of people think the 1NR isn't a very important speech because the 2NR often goes for whatever was in the 2NC, but a good 1NR can put a lot of pressure on the aff and the 2NR going for the arguments from the 1NR can often catch aff teams off guard. Usually, 1NRs will take 1 off case and a case argument, but I've seen other 1NR strategies that have been effective.

1AR-The 1AR should be mainly concerned with extending the most important arguments from the 2AC, answering the most important offense from the block, and making any new arguments that are necessary to win the debate, such as if the 2AC didn't have enough time on one flow. The 1AR can definitely read cards, but it doesn't usually read very many because it is generally pretty time-pressed and smart analytics can be more useful in many situations. The 1AR varies drastically depending on what was in the block, but the goal of the 1AR is never to win the debate, but to give the 2AR the materials that it needs to win.

2NR-The 2NR shouldn't read new cards, because those would probably be new arguments and it would put unfair pressure on the 2AR. The goal of the 2NR is to extend and flesh out the argument that the neg thinks is best and can win the debate. Usually, the 2NR will go for just T, a CP+DA+Case, a DA+Case, or a K+Case. Going for multiple off case that aren't a CP and the DA net benefit isn't usually very helpful. The 2NR shouldn't really be making many new arguments, but it can definitely build on arguments from the block and can answer new 1AR arguments with new arguments. The goal of the 2NR is to extend offense that can win the debate, answer aff offense so that the 2AR doesn't have an easy way out, and help the judge understand what has happened throughout the debate so that they can feel comfortable voting neg.

2AR-The 2AR should never read any new cards because there is no 3NR for the neg to answer them. The goal of the 2AR is to extend the important aff offense that can win the debate and contextualize what has happened in the rest of the debate to what the 2NR went for to mitigate the neg's offense. The 2AR isn't often a super technical speech, as it is often more big picture and helps the judge understand what went down in the debate so that they know why the aff is winning, but it should obviously answer neg arguments. The 2AR shouldn't really have new arguments, but it often does.

• Thanks 1