OurAltIsTerrorism

NeoLib Overview?

Me and my partner are debating in the AUDL and our first tournament is on Saturday. We're planning to run the NeoLib K for 4 minutes in the 1NC so that everyone we run against is made just a little bit less happy. I'm the 2N, and I need to write an overview for the K. I realized that I don't actually have any clue how to write one, what it should be like, or what I need to include. Help?

realistically  in an overview u want to explain the thesis of your kritik - ie how the world has been taken over by a logic of neoliberal dominance etc . and do impact work after explaining your thesis.

Hey @OurAltIsTerrorism

Neolib is general is a broad way of evaluating the drawbacks to a widespread, modified liberal market system. I'm going to presume this is in the context of the immigration topic this year, so there are tons of solid links to go for as well.

Most 2NCs that take the K do indeed start with an overview. That's not the only thing needed obviously, yet it can be crucial to a solid speech.

I'm by no means an expert, but here's my very generalized take on a 2nc overview.

Overviews are tons of fun:

1. Keep it relatively brief. (45-90 seconds) It shouldn't be the whole section on the K. 

2. It shouldn't be a simple reintroduction of the K, it needs to expand the overall impact or story of the K in the context of the round

3. Spreading it is fine, but if you want a judge to flow it, maybe slow down a tad from to like a 6 or a 7 on the spreading scale.

4. It should encompass most of the main offense the K has post 1NC/2AC - you're controlling the flow at this point.

5. Clearly present some sort of I:L scenario/chain of events/linkage whatever you want to call it as to why the aff is relevant, and furthermore how this impacts xyz. The overview shouldn't just be the K, it needs to indict the aff methodology in some way.

6. Gauge the judge's reaction to what you're saying. If they're flowing it, it's more likely to be positive than negative.

7. Reference the overview later in the speech, but don't use the overview as a crutch to avoid clash.

8. Lots of people oddly enough mess this next tip up - sign post when you switch onto the next flow/section/component. (ie when done with the overview, "Now onto the line by line" or whatever. 

Hopefully this list helped in some marginal way, and if you have any more questions/concerns/comments feel free to email me 

hunter.cool.sports@gmail.com

• Like 1