MattYee

How should I address my opponent?

In Congress they say "Representative", how should I address my policy opponent in CX? I want to avoid "You" since it sounds unprofessional imo.

As a Policy debater, I address my opponents as "my opponent(s)", "they", and sometimes as "the (whatever speech it was; e.g. "the 2NC")." However, avoid using gendered pronouns.

In CX, I ask questions to my opponent, so I use "you" (ex: "you make the argument that x"). In speech time, I find myself talking to the judge, so I use "they" (ex: "they make the argument that x")

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies! I have always used pronouns to describe opponents; however, I was looking for something a bit different. "Representative" sounds good but is not really applicable.

In modern policy (aka most circuits), there isn't really a formal way of talking to you opponents. Really, as long as the pronouns are gender neutral, they fly. Representative seems to be a bit too stiff, as even the most traditional policy debate settings ive been in have never used it. If you want to err more on the formal side, you can say "my opponents", but a simple "y'all" or "you" works just as well. However, if the norms of your circuit are very different, by all means go with those. This is just born from my experience as a policy debater. Good luck!