wisestmanonearth

Is this T-Visas plan from Berkley topical?

Berkeley campers: How is this topical? 

Plan: The United States Federal Government should amend the Trafficking Victims Protection Act to adopt the standards for trafficking provided by the United Nations Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children.

To me it seems like the "prevent, suppress and punish" has nothing to do with decreasing restrictions on legal immigration and more to do with stopping human trafficking. Please help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wisestmanonearth said:

Berkeley campers: How is this topical? 

Plan: The United States Federal Government should amend the Trafficking Victims Protection Act to adopt the standards for trafficking provided by the United Nations Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children.

To me it seems like the "prevent, suppress and punish" has nothing to do with decreasing restrictions on legal immigration and more to do with stopping human trafficking. Please help!

I think you're misreading the plan. The "prevent, suppress, and punish" is the name of the protocol, not its effect. If I recall, the UN protocol imposes a less demanding standard on victims to prove that they qualify for the T-Visa, which can lead to permanent residence. That's how it lessens restrictions. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1