Cybernetics usually refers to the intersection of communication and control. This is often  related to technology or the will to technology/mastery, which is a Heideggerian expression that describes efforts to render the world perfectly knowable or useful. I'd recommend having a decent grasp of Nietzsche's arguments about ressentiment and metaphysics before reading this stuff in debate. It's also good if you're familiar with, in order of importance, Deleuze, Heidegger, Baudrillard, and/or Bataille. There are a bunch of different ways that this is deployed in debate.

Exits to a Posthuman Future by Arthur Kroker is definitely the most common one. It provides a pretty strong introduction to the field, but it's kind of dense.

Dark Deleuze by Andrew Culp is also about cybernetics, although a bit more specifically to Deleuzian theory. It has a more militant and anti-communication attitude than other authors.

Planet Utopia by Mark Featherstone has more of an anti-productivity bent to it. It's maybe a bit more hopeful than the other two books.

Each of those authors have written a number of smaller articles that also have great cards. Michigan put out a cybernetics file this year that's pretty good and has cards to contextualize to this topic. I wouldn't suggest reading all the way through each of these books, just enough to get a good grasp of whichever argument you plan on making. Underlying knowledge of the authors cybernetics is based on is more important imo.

3 hours ago, seanarchy said:

Cybernetics usually refers to the intersection of communication and control. This is often  related to technology or the will to technology/mastery, which is a Heideggerian expression that describes efforts to render the world perfectly knowable or useful. I'd recommend having a decent grasp of Nietzsche's arguments about ressentiment and metaphysics before reading this stuff in debate. It's also good if you're familiar with, in order of importance, Deleuze, Heidegger, Baudrillard, and/or Bataille. There are a bunch of different ways that this is deployed in debate.

Exits to a Posthuman Future by Arthur Kroker is definitely the most common one. It provides a pretty strong introduction to the field, but it's kind of dense.

Dark Deleuze by Andrew Culp is also about cybernetics, although a bit more specifically to Deleuzian theory. It has a more militant and anti-communication attitude than other authors.

Planet Utopia by Mark Featherstone has more of an anti-productivity bent to it. It's maybe a bit more hopeful than the other two books.

Each of those authors have written a number of smaller articles that also have great cards. Michigan put out a cybernetics file this year that's pretty good and has cards to contextualize to this topic. I wouldn't suggest reading all the way through each of these books, just enough to get a good grasp of whichever argument you plan on making. Underlying knowledge of the authors cybernetics is based on is more important imo.

Ok thank you so much that's really helpful.

I haven't looked at the negative section of the file too much but that was definitely the case last year.

Edited by seanarchy

1 hour ago, ZidaoWang said:

Will Morgan sadly cut trash answers to it

Fight me those answers were cut by me, Nick, and Robin (actually just Nick and Robin). l:<

1 hour ago, Bayernuard said:

Fight me those answers were cut by me, Nick, and Robin (actually just Nick and Robin). l:<

lol

1 minute ago, chsdebater5 said:

I'm varads partner and you ran cybernetics once so I assumed you were a god

I didn't, I did parli for a year and am a sophmore in high school (doing LD next year).  I really have no idea where you got that information lmao

1 minute ago, Lukrau said:

I didn't, I did parli for a year and am a sophmore in high school (doing LD next year).  I really have no idea where you got that information lmao

Sorry I thought you were someone else egregious case of mistaken identity