Hi,

I have a couple of questions about flowing.

1) When my partner is the 1NC, I will be flowing his speech. After the 1NC, should we share flows considering that he hasn't flowed the 1NC, since he is the one who gave the speech? (i.e. he didn't write down cards or anything that he read on his flow, but I did)

2) When my partner is covering the 1NR and I'm the 2NC, should I be flowing my partner's 1NR? I have this question because if my partner is using my flow for the positions I didn't take in the 2nc, I won't have the args of the 2ac on those positions, because we shared flows.

3) When I am the 2ac, after the 2ac, should I use my partner's flow for the 2ar. This is because I can't flow the cards that I use during my 2ac, because I gave the speech. If I do use my partner's flow for the 2ar, how should I flow the cards that my partner reads in the 1ar, if he reads some?

4) Essentially, I just want clarification on how to flow with your partner during the round, as it is hard to flow the cards that you read during your speech (i.e it is hard to flow the cards I read in the 2ac, because I am the 2ac. Meanwhile, my partner can flow the cards I read.)

Thanks!

Edited by dubnation82

I'm someone with bad flowing habits and all these questions are ones I've struggled with in the past. Hopefully I can provide some useful insight.

1) Consider what you need to flow of the 1NC in order to give a Negative block speech on that position. If it's the 3-card shell to your DA, you probably don't need that since you should understand your evidence and have pre-written extensions of it and a 2NC impact overview for the DA. If it's seven answers to the advantage, you probably need to flow that pretty closely in order to follow the 2AC line-by-line and give an effective speech extending key case arguments. Once you have an idea of what each person is taking in the Negative block, make sure that person has a sufficient 1NC flow to take their positions--but you don't need 2 transcriptions of the 1NC.

2) What I'm saying in "1)" kind of covers this--I wouldn't recommend sharing flows--it gets messy, annoying, and not understanding your partner's handwriting could cost you a debate. Besides that, definitely you should flow the 1NR as the 2N because you're probably giving a 2NR on some arguments the 1NR is making.

3) The only 2AC thing I flow before giving my 2AC is the case--write out your line-by-line answers and mark on your flow where you intend to read evidence. Every off-case position you're probably just reading blocks/cards (or maybe typing out some analytics from important evidence or your partner's killer CX questions). If you get the chance during prep time, you can backflow a basic sketch of the 2AC using your speech document or referencing your partner's flows, just enough to keep your flow of the Negative block orderly. There's no point in using your partner's flows for your 2AR because you get to flow their 1AR. All you need for the 2AR is a flow of the 1AR and the 2NR since those are the only arguments still in play. You can still reference your Negative block flows or your 2AC pre-flows/document if needed, though.

4) Visit this thread for another (better) breakdown by Colin and a link to a solid video by Bill Batterman. https://www.cross-x.com/forums/topic/61957-2nc1ar-prep/

• Upvote 2

Thanks so much for the answer! I will definitely check out the link you sent.

I have one follow up question about #2.

You said to flow the 1NR, and I totally agree with that. I guess what I was wondering is how to do that efficiently. If my partner is using some 1NC flow for his 1NR speech, his flow will have some of the cards from the 1NC written, and he will probably reference some of those cards too. So how should I flow the 1NR given that I don't have any flow that references cards read in the 1NC that my partner will be extending in the 1NR? Would I just write down the author's name and the gist of the card based off of the explanation of my partners 1NR? Or if I need more explanation about the cards referenced in the 1NR, would I just look at it during prep?

Thanks so much!

4 minutes ago, dubnation82 said:

So how should I flow the 1NR given that I don't have any flow that references cards read in the 1NC that my partner will be extending in the 1NR?

The most likely scenario for the 1NR to explicitly reference 1NC cards/arguments is debating a case flow. The most important thing is for your 1N to do a good job of extending arguments. If the 1NR says something like "extend the second 1NC argument--no escalation from economic losses to inter-state conflict--that's Jervis, who's more qualified than any of their alarmist authors--it answers the internal warrant of the Tonnesson evidence because it says leaders wouldn't profit politically from economic diversionary war. Here's more evidence..." then you're going to be able to flow that without needing to see the 1NC flow. You can always go back and read the 1NC or 2AC evidence if you need to, but the evidence/warrant comparison in the 1NR is really what you're working with when you give that 2NR.