debategirl52

Debate is a game--- How do I win this?

Just make analytics. Here's something I wrote up: 

1.     Debate is a game, the only thing distinguishing us from reading and researching the books and articles in this round and debating about it is the competitive aspect of the activity. Every round has to have a winner and a loser, there is a judge in back of the room, pre-set speech times, power pairing, high/low seeding, elimination rounds, speaker points and awards, trophies, rules against clipping—only we’ve provided an explanation for why these rules exist in the first place, and that’s to promote the competitive equity of the activity.

2.     If it isn’t a game, why does the aff tie their interpretation and their 1AC to the ballot? Ultimately, we’re both here to win, if they’re not then you should just vote negative.

You will almost never win that debate isn't a game, but I think you can go for arguments that are like "we don't have access to the game/ it might be a game but it's more"

If you're running a K aff you're likely going to go up against a neg running framework that says you're destroying the competitive/game qualities of debate by not using a plan text... if the "debate = game" interp works for your aff, go ahead, but usually you see it ran the other way

If you run this while reading a K aff you will instantly lose because the other team will concede that debate is a game which means F/W is an EZ dub. 

On 7/28/2018 at 11:33 PM, TheSnowball said:

The debate isn't so much about whether debate is a game, but about whether the resolution is a rule.

I feel like if you win that debate is a game, even if the resolution isn't a rule, not affirming it is bad because it decks fairness. 

37 minutes ago, ZidaoWang said:

I feel like if you win that debate is a game, even if the resolution isn't a rule, not affirming it is bad because it decks fairness. 

I guess it depends on how you define fairness. In the context of debate, fairness usually means adherence to rules and norms, so if the Affirmative wins the resolution should not be the focus of the debate, there's not a metric by which to tell that what they're discussing instead is unfair. If we equate fairness with competitive equity, I agree that the Negative could win that the Affirmative's alternative model of debate doesn't give both sides an equal chance to win.

13 minutes ago, TheSnowball said:

I guess it depends on how you define fairness. In the context of debate, fairness usually means adherence to rules and norms, so if the Affirmative wins the resolution should not be the focus of the debate, there's not a metric by which to tell that what they're discussing instead is unfair. If we equate fairness with competitive equity, I agree that the Negative could win that the Affirmative's alternative model of debate doesn't give both sides an equal chance to win.

Yeah I think that the rule/norm distinction doesn't matter as much when it comes to competitive equity, because even if the resolution is a norm, it's the only stasis point for research and prep. 

7 minutes ago, ZidaoWang said:

Yeah I think that the rule/norm distinction doesn't matter as much when it comes to competitive equity, because even if the resolution is a norm, it's the only stasis point for research and prep. 

I think the Affirmative would be saying debating the resolution is actively bad. I agree the Negative can claim predictable stasis, I just think the Affirmative has a little more leeway if they win the resolution shouldn't be the focus.