ellch20

2NC/1AR Prep

My inefficient use of prep time is the bane of my existence. I am a 1A/2N, and I always end up taking 5-6 minutes for the 2NC, which is obviously too much. During the 2NC prep, I’m taking blocks and putting them in the speech doc. Then, I flow what I will say in those blocks as well as my responses to their arguments so I can do line by line and so that I will not forget what I said when I’m doing the 2NR. I think that flowing cards and analytics that I will say probably takes me the most time, but I’m always worried about forgetting critical information in the 2nr. People have advised that I use the opponents 1AR’s prep time to write down what I said, but what about when they only use a minute or so of prep?

For the 1AR, I spend a lot of time (3-4 minutes) writing down on my flow how I will answer arguments in the line by line.

Should I make 1AR blocks for extensions and cards? I’ve had lab leaders give contradictory statements, with one saying that we should have 1ar blocks for evidence and extension and the other saying that we should not have a computer during rebuttals except for reading cards.

And, should I write down the cards/prewritten extensions that I’m reading in the 1ar, or should I not take prep to do that since my partner is flowing? I know I need to write how I will clash with and answer their arguments, but I think I take too much time for that also. Won’t reading blocks wreck my line by line and clash?

I think the most helpful thing would be if somebody told me everything, in exact and complete detail, that they do to prepare for the 1AR and the 2NC, and what they recommend I should do to reduce my use of prep time.

Unfortunately I can't help you much as far as the 1AR because I'm normally a 2A. But whenever I give a 2NC, my coach recommended around 4-ish minutes for prep, but I always used around 2-3. During that time I usually put my blocks in the block and prep the LBL. You have your partners 5 minutes 1NR and the 1AR prep to be able to flow your blocks.

What I would do is start making the 2NC during the 2AC (while paying attention to the 2AC so you catch any blippy analytics), start prep with the work you have done, get your doc done then work quickly on your LBL so you have sufficient time to prep for the 2NR. Save flowing your blocks for the 1NR, 

• Upvote 1

I’m taking blocks and putting them in the speech doc. Then, I flow what I will say in those blocks as well as my responses to their arguments so I can do line by line and so that I will not forget what I said when I’m doing the 2NR.

You have your partners 5 minutes 1NR and the 1AR prep to be able to flow your blocks.

You need to flow the 1NR because you might be going for those arguments, but you can definitely use 1AR prep.

When I'm putting in blocks, I use * as a symbol on my flow that I'm reading a block. I don't flow what it says unless I have time later or if I know I'm going for the argument. Then, you can reference your speech doc with blocks and write out what it says in the 2NR column, adapted to the 1AR answer. So in 2NC prep it might look like this, which doesn't take much time to flow.

5wYtZ2v.png

• Upvote 2

2nc prep starts in pre round. Let me walk you through it.

- When you get disclosure or make a reasonable assumption of what the aff is if you don't get disclosure (always have generic stats in mind for those situations), build a strategy and sketch out what you want the 1nc to be (off case and specific case args you want). That sketch goes to the 1n for them to put together in a doc.

- Then you consider what you will likely take in the 2nc. Which off case, which case args, etc.

- Start pulling blocks and carded extensions for what you see yourself taking. Start with your ideal 2nc and then start pulling blocks for less likely arguments.

- Start tailoring your blocks to their aff. If you're gonna take a DA, start tailoring your impact overview to be comparative to aff scenarios, put together your link wall, etc. If you're taking a CP, rework your solvency overview to assume their internal links. Taking a k, impact overview, solvency, perm answers/link wall. Reword your case neg extensions and pick and choose cards you think you'll need. All of that stuff.

- Check the 1nc just before the debate starts to make sure your 1n did everything you wanted and greenlight it. If you have a coach with you in pre-round they can do that. Don't just stop when the 1ac starte, make sure it's solid. Then read 1ac evidence and start sketching cross-x questions that fit the arguments you want to go for.

1nc and cross x. You know your off case, don't flow them, just note on blank sheets of paper that they exist. Keep prepping your 2nc. Flow case args specifically when your partner gets there.

- 2ac happens. Flow it all unless there's enough air time in a card or something for you to prep. But seriously, messing up the block radically changes the debate, pay attention to the 2ac and read cards while they read them so you can answer warrants and have more depth of comparative analysis.

- While your partner cross-x's the 2ac, decide on the block strategy you want. Delete unnecessary things from your prep doc.

- When your partner sits down, maybe double check strat with them or tell them you want them to do something slightly different ("I'm slow, answer condo for me before you do politics").

Now your 2nc prep is just filling gaps and double checking.

Edited by OGRawrcat
  • Upvote 2

1AR prep starts in 2ac cross-x (can start earlier with effective pre round prep, but whatever.

Start prepping extensions for arguments you definitely know you'll make against the arguments you think will most likely be in the block.

2a sits down, they should flag the key arguments they want extended on each flow, this is subject to change based on how the block performs on different arguments, but whatever.

You should start pulling extensions or writing them based on your 2a's guidance during 2nc prep.

During the 2nc, I would usually wait for air time during longer cards to start writing args on my flow for my 1ar.

2nc cross x. You should aim to have the 2nc fully answered in your prep doc and on your flow during this time.

Can't really help that you have to take prep for the 1nr, but effectively predicting what the block will be helps with that.

Key moral of both of my posts: don't waste time before or during the debate.

• Upvote 1