jhirsch

Education vDebate: jhirsch [aff] v. AnthonySGHS [neg]

Cross of the 1NC:

1. TVA for both T violations?

Courts- do the plan but do it only through congress, even if that doesn’t resolve your aff we’ll say that TVA on t interps are marginal

Education- there is none

2. Is this linear court stripping/legitimacy turn triggered by any act of precedent?

No not really, O’Scannlain talks about major shifts on court opinion that contradict previous ones, such as the aff

3. What is "SOP"?

Separation of Powers

4. Your link to federalism is federal involvement in education, correct?

We’ll say that’s part of the link, but also the plan triggers a major fundamental shift that disrupts a lot of status quo state policies

5. Also, where is the uniqueness on the 3rd and 4th off?

In the status quo

6. So to clarify, DeVos has no credibility right now?

Yup

7. Could you give me 2-3 examples of the 1 in, 2 out rule actually being used?

I can’t think of two or three off the top of my head but a great example is in education itself, school choice and a new budget took away twice the amount of money being given and took away two existing regulations

8. How is Milliken 'political' in the context of the aff?

I think Bilan is more talking towards ideas of education agendas which is the aff, both of which violate PQD

9. Does the CP create a right to education or do the plan?

States and territories make a right to education in their respective constitutions

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Follow ups:

2. Is your position that we should never overturn precedent?

4. So the argument is that bad stuff happens if the federal government tells the states they should/shouldn't do a certain thing?

5. I meant evidence. Do you have evidence in the 1NC that gives uniqueness to the 3rd and 4th off?

6. Like, absolutely none?

7. What about school choice? Like are you saying funding for school choice was reallocated and that proves a use?

8. But PQD is the Political Question Doctrine... so how is Milliken political in the context of the aff?

8.5. Has SCOTUS ever made a political decision in the past?

9. Why is a RTE uniquely better than educational finance equity?

Follow ups:

2. Is your position that we should never overturn precedent?

It's not that overturning precedent is bad itself, but its the idea that it creates an unpredictability of court opinion itself which triggers the DA

Also overturning precedence in one instance justifies a lot of other bad overturnings because it sets a norm so good SCOTUS decisions like Roe v Wade could be overturned

4. So the argument is that bad stuff happens if the federal government tells the states they should/shouldn't do a certain thing?

The argument is that disrupting state autonomy is pretty bad

5. I meant evidence. Do you have evidence in the 1NC that gives uniqueness to the 3rd and 4th off?

Nah

6. Like, absolutely none?

Not enough to pass her legislative agenda

7. What about school choice? Like are you saying funding for school choice was reallocated and that proves a use?

Can you rephrase this?

8. But PQD is the Political Question Doctrine... so how is Milliken political in the context of the aff?

the advancement of education agendas, that's what i was talking about. Advancing education political agendas

8.5. Has SCOTUS ever made a political decision in the past?

I can't answer that for you, probably not in the context of the aff, even if SCOTUS has, it isn't really unique to the debate since we're contextual to withholding powers from the trump admin which is probably more true to the impact scenario 

9. Why is a RTE uniquely better than educational finance equity?

We'll say that RTE probably does finance equality and more, but we don't have to win the idea that RTE is better, more that our mechanism is better

bump for the 2AC?

Yeah family left this morning, sometime today! Thanks for understanding