ronniesportman

ODT RD 3 jhrish vs Ronniesportman//Misrap354

As agreed to earlier, here's the cards that the aff would like the judges to review when making their decision. They are listed more or less in the order they were presented in the debate. If you would like to not be swayed by this compilation, feel free to ignore this post.

I’ll post mine when I go home

wait lol the judges were forced to read the speech docs and cards. whyd yall repost them

one of the judges suggested it before the round l, I think it’s supposed to give them an idea of what we think the important arguments in the round were
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This looks like a job for... second rebuttals!

you know, now that I think about it you’re right

I think you are right, but a judge requested for a compilation of cards to look over at the end of the round... so idk

Yeah just joking around and being sarcastic.

• Upvote 3

hey RFD might take a while life has taken some unheard of turns and i need to sort this all out first. apolgiies to all

all good, you and Raunak have been more than patient with my irl stuff. Take your time, hope everything is okay!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we want to keep the odt moving (which we definitely do) I can fill in for Parth if yall are cool with it. I haven't flowed this debate or thought at all about who I'd vote for, and I'm generally fairly flex/nonideological in terms of this kind of policy v k metadebate (you can check my paradigm if you want).

Edited by nihilistkitten
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So I’ve only started reading the rebuttals, but I’d like to make a request in case I judge either of you again in the future- can we kinda just chill a little bit? I understand you as debaters are deeply invested in the round, but I don’t find the 2AR’s extreme vehemence to be very persuasive. In fact, it makes me feel pretty awkward. Same with the 2NR’s decision to include screenshots of their private message with one of the other judges. Not to be rude, but like, it’s not that serious.

It’s like you saw Snowball and nihilistkitten’s round and decided to copy what they did, but you missed the part of that thread where the judge and another respected member of the community point out how uncomfortable the round made them. I’m not gonna dock speaks because it would be unfair to penalize you when the round had already played out before I was added to the panel, but I figure this could be something of a PSA for cross x people. Can wildly angry vdebates not become a trend, please?

• Upvote 5

So I’ve only started reading the rebuttals, but I’d like to make a request in case I judge either of you again in the future- can we kinda just chill a little bit? I understand you as debaters are deeply invested in the round, but I don’t find the 2AR’s extreme vehemence to be very persuasive. In fact, it makes me feel pretty awkward. Same with the 2NR’s decision to include screenshots of their private message with one of the other judges. Not to be rude, but like, it’s not that serious.

It’s like you saw Snowball and nihilistkitten’s round and decided to copy what they did, but you missed the part of that thread where the judge and another respected member of the community point out how uncomfortable the round made them. I’m not gonna dock speaks because it would be unfair to penalize you when the round had already played out before I was added to the panel, but I figure this could be something of a PSA for cross x people. Can wildly angry vdebates not become a trend, please?

Ur right, I lost my cool in the heat of the debate and became way too petty-I want to apologize to everyone for harming the safe space for everyone involved.

Sorry if anybody felt that way, I really wasn’t upset at all, I just get invested in certain arguments more than I should. Sorry everyone

If we want to keep the odt moving (which we definitely do) I can fill in for Parth if yall are cool with it. I haven't flowed this debate or thought at all about who I'd vote for, and I'm generally fairly flex/nonideological in terms of this kind of policy v k metadebate (you can check my paradigm if you want).

Nihlistkitten sorry about that, I accidentally downvotes he post... I meant to upvote... how to fix?

Bump for RFD/decision (lots of other posts, just making sure it doesn’t get lost)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Am I judging or no?

I think misrap354 was okay with it, should probably still PM Nick to check

RFD:

I vote Negative on the, "inverted," T/FW argument. The 2AC's answers to this shell were extremely unresponsive, and this imbalance quickly turned the rest of the round into an almost insurmountable game of catch-up for the Affirmative. For example, when you say things like, "I’m not even going to address their standards or voters," you're pretty much inviting the Negative to beat you over the head with their standards and voters - you know? In general, laughing off arguments, saying that they, "suck," and referring to them as a, "freaking joke," aren't particularly persuasive strategies to me, and I would have liked to see more direct issue-oriented clash.

Also, a general note on camaraderie: The frequent personal attacks between both of the debaters made this round incredibly awkward to judge. I understand that it's easy to get emotionally invested into your arguments, but please try to remain respectful of each other as fellow players of the game.

Edited by CynicClinic
  • Upvote 2

I’m on my phone and I don’t know how to make something a spoiler from a phone so I’ll just do the RFD straight up without a spoiler since it seems that I’m the last one.

I vote neg; the 2AC did not do what it needed to do. I understand your thought process in piecing together this framework block— you see it’s anti-T and so you recognize that the offense on normal T is gonna be a great way to impact turn this shell. But that does not mean that copying and pasting standards from your T shell is responsive to their standards. And like, it wouldn’t have even been hard to line by line these standards because some of these arguments are super flimsy. Like there’s an infinite scope of topical USFG action but a limited, predictable scope of body politic? What does that even mean? Even if the 2AC answers were responsive, the 1NC had 6 standards and you “answered” 3 of them. You don’t even try with the presumption stuff or the agential fantasy stuff or anything else, which is a whole lot of conceded offense to weigh against your disads on the interp that say things like “Lol you got beat on framework last round so why are you running it?” Unfortunately, it looks like you’re the one getting beat on framework this time around.